Question 16gb of ram only 7.93gb usable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 11, 2019
Hello, I recently built a new computer with 16 gb of DDR3 memory (4 x 4) clocked at 1333MHz. Even though I have 16gb of RAM, only 7.93 is usable. Task manager is telling me 8.1gb is hardware reserved. I've tried unchecking the Maximum memory box in msconfig, I've updated my BIOS (I had outdated BIOS apparently), and I've set the RAM back to its core clock (I had overclocked to 1920MHz). Nothing has worked. Thanks in advanced to anyone that can help me.

My specs:
Intel Xeon X3440 2.53GHz
Intel DH55TC motherboard
16gb of Micron DDR3 RAM dual channel
Nvidia GeForce GT730
240gb Patriot Burst SSD
250gb Seagate HDD
Apevia 450 watt power supply

Jun 11, 2019
After doing some more research I have decided that it's best that I just buy RAM that's been tested to work with my motherboard like Calvin7 said. I have found an article on intel's website detailing all sticks that have been tested to work.

Here's the link to the webpage if anyone is curious: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...000005869/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html]

I've decided to go with Hynix HMT351U6MFR8C-H9 4gb memory sticks.

Thanks to all who tried to help me.

Jun 11, 2019
Do you have a pc store near by who can help you out?

To check bent cpu pins as suggested by Skynet

To test different ram, possibly 2x 8GB ram
I already bought more 4gb x 4 ram... oops
should've checked in w/ you guys beforehand, but to be fair, on the webpage I looked on, I didn't see any RAM sticks with 8gb that were tested to work. This is just my first pc build though, so I'm not as experienced as some of you guys are.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Nevermind, 8GB might or might not be possible so would've been a gamble. You did the right thing buying 4s. Good luck.

xJATOx

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Someone said that Xeon's doesnt have IGP, and that's truth, but your motherboard HAVE an IGP, so i think that probably your IGP is takin' some GB of RAM (the half of total?). Before buy new RAMs i would try this: Enter in BIOS, go to Advanced tab, and open Video Configuration, then if you have a dedicated graphics as i think (Geforece 730) try to swith off the igp of the motherboard completely, but if you don't have a dedicated graphics card, or you can't switch off the MoBo igp, then set the shared memory for the igp at minimum, i think its in "IGD DVMT Memory" BIOS setting (Integrated Graphics Device - Dynamic Video Memory Technology). Then, if im right, your avalible memory / reserved memory will change. Maybe im wrong and your problem is related to other things, buy i will try it before to buy anything. Hope this solve your issue or help to identify it. Good luck.

Micron 4GB DDR3 1Rx8 PC3L-12800U MT8KTF51264AZ-1G6P1 Desktop RAM Memory
https://www.amazon.com/Micron-PC3L-12800U-MT8KTF51264AZ-1G6P1-Desktop-Memory/dp/B01MYEAWV7

As well as MT8KTF51264AZ-1G6E1 are 4GB single.

Buying pairs have no guarantee to be compatible together. Your lucky to get two working together, going for four is going to get you results like you have now.

It's time to start thinking about buying a Single kit of two or a Single kit of four. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. This includes exact match, same thing, identical.

Jun 11, 2019
Someone said that Xeon's doesnt have IGP, and that's truth, but your motherboard HAVE an IGP, so i think that probably your IGP is takin' some GB of RAM (the half of total?). Before buy new RAMs i would try this: Enter in BIOS, go to Advanced tab, and open Video Configuration, then if you have a dedicated graphics as i think (Geforece 730) try to swith off the igp of the motherboard completely, but if you don't have a dedicated graphics card, or you can't switch off the MoBo igp, then set the shared memory for the igp at minimum, i think its in "IGD DVMT Memory" BIOS setting (Integrated Graphics Device - Dynamic Video Memory Technology). Then, if im right, your avalible memory / reserved memory will change. Maybe im wrong and your problem is related to other things, buy i will try it before to buy anything. Hope this solve your issue or help to identify it. Good luck.
Hi, sorry for the very late reply. I should note that I recently swapped out the gt 730 for a gt 1030. I went into BIOS>Advanced>Video Configuration and the only option was Primary Video Adapter. There were 3 options: Ext PCIe Graphics (PEG), Ext PCI Graphics and Auto. I tried all 3 with the same results, 7.9gb usable. Also I couldn't find IGD DVMT Memory in the Video Configuration

Jun 11, 2019
Yes - buy a new ram to later find out, it was bent socket pins all along. :)
I looked at the socket pins and it didn't look like there were any bent pins. I watched Linus Tech Tips' Video on fixing bent socket pins and after following the instructions it didn't seem like there were any bent pins.

Link to LTT's video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H5_FVX9lU

I should note that I did see thermal paste on the bottom of the CPU, but I think it was my fault since I took the CPU out right after handling a tube of thermal paste and there was none on the CPU socket. I cleaned up the thermal paste, inspected it again, then put it back together and I still get the "7.9gb usable" problem. I may have missed it so I'll do some more research on bent CPU pins then try it again at a later date.