16GB RAM DDR4 3200 MHz vs 32GB DDR3 1600 for game civilization 4 & civilization 6

Ivo_3_

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
16GB RAM DDR4 3200 MHz,
vs
32GB DDR3 1600 MHz,
for playing civilization four & civilization six game?

Solution
How much RAM do you have atm? And if you load a Civ map (not blank) and open up Task Manager, how much RAM does it say you're consuming?

16 GB is more than enough as said above. You won't have any problems with too little RAM with having 16 GB unless you run unoptimized games.
Even 8 GB could be enough for such game in general, though I'm not that experienced with Civ RAM consumption, hence why I ask.

steffeeh

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
How much RAM do you have atm? And if you load a Civ map (not blank) and open up Task Manager, how much RAM does it say you're consuming?

16 GB is more than enough as said above. You won't have any problems with too little RAM with having 16 GB unless you run unoptimized games.
Even 8 GB could be enough for such game in general, though I'm not that experienced with Civ RAM consumption, hence why I ask.

Solution

Ivo_3_

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Now I have 12 GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3. Civ 4 uses 2,5 GB of it, CPU is AMD Prenom IIX4810 2,34 GHz, CPU usage is 44%, but game is not fast :( .
Civ 4 uses mostly 1 CPU cores :( !
Video is
GeForce GTX 750 Palit KalmX 2GB Edition!
1)The shortest point is not the RAM!
2) Maybe video card is the shortest point. I want to make that game(civ4) run faster! Civ6 is nightmare slow on my machine.
3)or maybe faster CPU may result to faster Civ4 game play, even that Civ4 uses just a single core

Ivo_3_

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
for Civ4 Better to invest in new CPU(& motherboard) or in video card?
Could you share what is your system for play Civ 4 ?

Video card won't do you much good.
But it depends on when the performance is bad.

I assume your performance is quite good at the start of a game but declines the further you progress in time. In that case it's the CPU as the game is getting more and more complex due to an increasing number of cities, population and units.

If the game has problems right from the start looking into your GPU might be worth it

CIV IV has been a while for me
My old rig was an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE & a MSI R6850 PE with 8 GB RAM