16gb ram installed windows only showing 12gb??

Westy177

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I know this questions been doen to death but I thought id ask anyway since every case is different.

Anyway I sent my computer to a shop to diagnose my blue screen of death issue. they found 1 stick of ram to be faulty and memtested every individual ram stick for 4 hours so all the ram in my pc is now mint condition.

Got it home fired it up and task manager only showed 12gb but 16gb present, restarted computer checked my bios and that was showing 16gb, ive done the msconfig trick to no avail.

My specs are
amd fx8120 cpu
r9 270x sapphire gpu
16gb ddr3 ram
amd gigabyte mobo

cheers in advance for any assistance.

Solution
If you look at task manager->performance,look at the bottom at "source controll,click this,what does it say? Picture might be nice,

Can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the "img" link,paste it in your next post.

I have 16gb and when looking at task manager it also says ~12gb available,but als gives ~3.5gb in use why i ask.

Might be that ( i assume they replaced the faulty stick) it is not compatible with the rest,but you'd think they tested for that as well at that shop. They should better replace the set it came in btw,but that's my opinion.

Lutfij

Titan
What OS are you on? You also need to state the make and model of your board. Are both rams the same? What kit is it from?
Better yet, list your PSU, ram it, OS/storage drive and the cooler for your platform. You should likewise make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date.

when you say windows is telling you it only sees 12GB not 16GB and at the same time in the bios you see 16GB properly. I would tend to think either your reading the information wrong, windows is inaccurately reading the total ram.

get HWINFO, and what does IT tell you how much ram do you have (example below) run it in summary mode, then bottom right you will see total ram, in this example it shows my system which is 32GB

Now if it still reads 12GB, look at third image, pull down the tab for ram sticks , and make sure all ram showing(registering) and what slot are or not showing ram.

qdRQf53.png

lXIkKJ8.png

3jwHOx9.png

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you look at task manager->performance,look at the bottom at "source controll,click this,what does it say? Picture might be nice,

Can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the "img" link,paste it in your next post.

I have 16gb and when looking at task manager it also says ~12gb available,but als gives ~3.5gb in use why i ask.

Might be that ( i assume they replaced the faulty stick) it is not compatible with the rest,but you'd think they tested for that as well at that shop. They should better replace the set it came in btw,but that's my opinion.

Solution

Westy177

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Seems i may be worrying over nothing haha. HWINFO shows i have 16gb ram and all ram sticks are detected

nE5PFhE.png

Westy177

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

that timing haha,

Opened up the case and swapped 1 and 2 rams sticks around now have the full 16gb in task manager cheers for the help anyway mate haha.

Should stick to cars computers can be weird haha

Aug 17, 2018
The Paladin

I had the same issue as Westy177 followed your suggestion and ran HWinfo. Initial issue, Windows 10 task manager showed I have 16 gb ram only 4 usable. moved cards (two 4 gb went to black slots) and the (one 8 gb card which I added tonight went into the blue slot) now task manager shows 16 gb 12 usable yet in the bios it shows 16 gb

HWinfo shows memory as 16 gb and when I pull down memory modules I see the 2 - 4gb cards and the 8 gb card which is represented by the (#2) and manufacturer name is blank. Any idea if the OS recognizes the full 16 or not? AS you can tell I'm a total neophyte. Thank you for insight

TRENDING THREADS