16gb ram instead of 10 gb ram any difference ?

jnr679

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Hi everyone, I have question I would like to upgrade my pc by adding some rams, now I have 10 gb, the problem is that my asus a68hm-k motherboard has only 2 sockets for that and I already have both of them used with 8 and 2 gb ram sticks, my current processor is athlon x4 860k quad core and Geforce gtx 750 ti is video card. So my question is do I will be able to fell any difference if will change my 2 gb ram with 8 gb and in the end will have 16 gb instead of 10 gb, but will it make any difference with my current hardware I mean in gaming ? Thanks a lot if someone will help me !!!!

Solution
Well...I game pretty regularly and I game some of the most recent releases, and I've yet to need over 6 GB for any game. So I would say ""maybe hold off".

jnr679

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

Alright then, Thanks :D saved me some money

Are the speed (frequencies) of your 2 RAM sticks the same? If not, both sticks will run at the lower speed. Also, since you have mis-matched ram (2GB and 8GB), you are probably not running in dual channel mode. You may want to run some benchmarks with both sticks installed and then remove the 2GB stick and run the benchmarks again. You may find that your system works better with only the 8GB stick installed.

jnr679

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

Wow, I not a big computer man and I never thought about that, but yeah my 2gb stich frequency is way lower that 8gb one, so this means that instead of upgrading it I downgraded it ? thanks for advice, do you know any reliable benchmark programs to test it out ?

jnr679

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

Great, thanks again, now I am eager to head back home and check it out. Maybe I will solve my performance problem by removing that goddamn stick