Question 16x PCI slot does not detect graphics card.

boogytime

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
I have a Z370-E and a 1070 FE and my top PCIe slot won’t detect my graphics card. I’ve updated my BIOS and I’ve tried reseating my card. I’m having trouble thinking of other methods of troubleshooting. Anyone got any ideas or am I a big dumb?

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of your PSU and the make and model of your prior GPU, as it reads like you performed a GPU upgrade(perhaps a motherboard upgrade as well).

Given how you're on a Z series chipset, you should be able to breadboard and try running off the iGPU from the processor/board to rule out a failing PSU or a seemingly dead GPU.

boogytime

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
CPU: i7-8700k
Motherboard: z370-e gaming asus rog strix
Ram: 16gb (2x8) ddr4 3000mhz corsair vengeance
SSD/HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD Green? 500gb
GPU: 1070 Founders Edition
PSU: EVGA 750W supernova g3
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D

My computer works perfectly fine. This is a problem I've had and haven't fixed yet. I've been running my graphics card(the 1070) through the 8x pci lane for about 3 years now and I'm getting a new 2080ti and it irks me that it wont be running in the16x pci slot(even though I've heard there isn't much of a difference in terms of gaming FPS.) PSU is about 2 years old. I got the motherboard and cpu end of 2017. Everything works great and normally when i use the 8x slot. However when I try to install my graphics card into the 16x slot and check the bios it doesn't even register that anything is plugged into said slot.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Try using other PCIe slot, then check the CPU if it works. For this gpu x8 is ok and you will NOT get any preformance if you get x16. Even for the new 2080 you will not see preformance gains maybe few1-2-3 % on 4k+ resolutions. So no need to worry.

boogytime

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Try using other PCIe slot, then check the CPU if it works. For this gpu x8 is ok and you will NOT get any preformance if you get x16. Even for the new 2080 you will not see preformance gains maybe few1-2-3 % on 4k+ resolutions. So no need to worry.
yeah, mobo has two slots, 8x runs fine, when i install on 16x it just defaults to cpu graphics

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
yeah, mobo has two slots, 8x runs fine, when i install on 16x it just defaults to cpu graphics
Check bios settings, most mobos default to something when you change hardware on it, put the gpu and Check on what speeds are your pcie lanes

Edit: its possible if your ssd is m2 nvme that it uses some PCIe lanes and closes it for the gpu, check your mobo manual

boogytime

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Check bios settings, most mobos default to something when you change hardware on it, put the gpu and Check on what speeds are your pcie lanes

Edit: its possible if your ssd is m2 nvme that it uses some PCIe lanes and closes it for the gpu, check your mobo manual
ssd is not a m.2. my mobo doesnt detect anything in the 16x slot so i couldn't change bios settings even if i wanted to. ive tried :(

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
But then it looks like the whole PCIe slot is damaged. You can check CPU for bent pins but if you are not experienced in bending those back leave it to a pro. Checked your mobo manual and it sais you have 2 pcie x16 slots. I know it sais x8 on it but its x8 only if you use both slots. Your gpu probably runs on x16 but you check that in PCIe settings in bios. If its on x8 see does it give you option to go x16.
Edit: but in both cases you will not get any more performance out of it.