19 Unofficial Ways to Speed Up Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Erm, this one is useful for non-SSD ntfs drives if you have lots of ram free (uses a few hundred mb when copying) :
fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2

If your memory gets swallowed up change it back to 1

mavroxur

Distinguished
Oh wow, so, you're telling me that upgrading to SSD's, adding more RAM, and using a 64 bit OS on machines with > 3gb RAM will help?

Thanks for the astute observations, Captain Obvious.

This article could apply to ANY operating system...or any system PERIOD.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
This article almost implies that doing all of these things wouldn't speed up a computer in general, just Windows 7.

I already know that a SS drive is faster than mine.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Personally I don't really consider things like upgrading a way to "speed up." It's a given anyway; why in the world would you spend money if it won't speed up your PC.

I was expecting more like tips, tweaks and stuff.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Choujij[/nom]@Zoonie Ouch... A little harsh, no?[/citation]

Yeah perhaps you're right. Sorry man, I'm not a mean guy, but Kevin keeps pushing out Cpt. Obvious articles on a site I used to love for its useful information.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Zoonie[/nom]Yeah perhaps you're right. Sorry man, I'm not a mean guy, but Kevin keeps pushing out Cpt. Obvious articles on a site I used to love for its useful information.[/citation]
I have more of an issue with the source. They detail 19 ways to perform common sense tasks. "Install more RAM"...... No, really?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I have more of an issue with the source. They detail 19 ways to perform common sense tasks. "Install more RAM"...... No, really?[/citation]
Ha...

Reformat to completely rid of OEM crapware, don't run an antivirus (but be careful of your browsing habits), and don't try to run Vista/Win7 on only 256MB of RAM, and you'll be just fine. =D

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
C'mon tom's! We expect more of you guys! We know you can do better! I guess, just in case, someone manages to find your site on their computer, and still knows nothing about their computer, this would be interesting.

shotgunpadre

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
step 1: format your disk
step 2: install vista without any service pack

now you have a faster pc. every time microsoft alters something about their os, they make it worse.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]boonality[/nom]Worthless on a tech forum....Also, what is the 3GB limit mentioned?????????? I mean i know what the x86 4GB limit is, never heard of the 3GB one.[/citation]
As pretty much everyone knows, except maybe you, the 4GB limit on 32bit systems include GFX cards and mappable memory addresses on motherboard system devices. Yes, I understand not all GFX cards have the same amount of memory but you will never see the full 4GB, so round down to 3GB.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I like the Aero interface but I always revert to classic windows and turn everything off except like screen font smoothing, mouse cursor shadow, windows shadow, translucent selection, etc.. Also, when using Photoshop with a tablet I always turn off the Tablet PC service and just make sure the wacom service is running. ALSO.. (pheww), Photoshop has the OpenGL acceleration support (for CS4) and if you turn off 3D interaction acceleration and under advanced drawing turn off use for image display ALONG with having the classic windows interface you will experience maximum draw perfomance all this assuming you have a decent video card! Alternatively you can turn off OpenGL support entirely and that has even faster draw rates but you get the slow zoom and pan. Anyway, I turn off System Restore, Indexing, all the advanced options mentioned before, I have Diskeeper Pro installed (awesome program), NOD32 (64bit)... and my sound card (Xfi) and that's it. My machine is pretty much not going to do much better and for now it's all I need. And, that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.