[SOLVED] 1920x1080 unsupported when connecting a Thinkpad laptop to a TV with a docking station

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
When I connect my Lenovo laptop to the TV with a video cable and an audio cable, everything works perfect. However if I use a Lenovo docking station, built with that exact model in mind, the 1920x1080 resolution suddenly becomes unsupported for the TV. What can I do?

The laptop model: Lenovo Thinkpad T540p
The docking station: Thinkpad Ultra Dock 40A2

The problem persists on Ubuntu 18.04. The TV is a Manta.

Last edited:
Solution
The TV is Manta LED4004. The chain in question: laptop > docking station > VGA & audio cables > TV.

I tried swapping the VGA for a HDMI and it works. This time however the HDMI won’t carry the audio. Therefore I’m forced to the laptop>docking station>hdmi/audio>TV chain. Too many cables, but at least it’s working.

Make sure your video drivers and BIOS are the latest from Lenovo, and check the audio options that it's set to HDMI audio and not the 3.5mm jacks. You may want to try another cable and different HDMI ports on the TV.

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Also need to know the exact TV model and what video cable you are using, VGA, HDMI, have any other adapters/converters on it?

The TV is Manta LED4004. The chain in question: laptop > docking station > VGA & audio cables > TV.

I tried swapping the VGA for a HDMI and it works. This time however the HDMI won’t carry the audio. Therefore I’m forced to the laptop>docking station>hdmi/audio>TV chain. Too many cables, but at least it’s working.

Make sure your video drivers and BIOS are the latest from Lenovo, and check the audio options that it's set to HDMI audio and not the 3.5mm jacks. You may want to try another cable and different HDMI ports on the TV.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS