Question 1gbps ethernet only gets 100mbps speeds, even though its status is reporting as 1gbps

TommyTheTank

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • My ISP speed is 400/400 (fios) which i have confirmed with speed tests on other devices
  • The cat5e cable im using gets the proper speeds with a laptop when i plug it in to the router
  • The problem pc has an Intel I219-V with the latest drivers installed from here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ntel-ethernet-connection-i219v/downloads.html (i tried it with the default win10 drivers and it didnt work with those either)
  • It reports itself as being connected at 1Gpbs speed:
    QvyVvsB.png
  • Speed & Duplex in the advanced properties are set to Auto Negotiation, forcing it to 1000 full duplex, as a test, changed nothing
  • The router speed for all the ports are set to 1000 full duplex and the router reports this pc as being connected at 1000 full duplex and this happens on every port of the router for this PC
  • When i try a speedtest (googles speed test, speedtest.net, and fast.com) it ramps up to 96mbps in the first 2 seconds before going back to and settling at 82mbps
  • Downloading any file from any source in any app is capped to 9.7 MB/s (even in safe mode with networking), I should be getting near 50MB/s
I'm out of ideas, this pc's 1Gbps connection refuses to function any faster than 100mbps, despite saying its 1Gbps
Any help would be appreciated

kanewolf

Titan
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • My ISP speed is 400/400 (fios) which i have confirmed with speed tests on other devices
  • The cat5e cable im using gets the proper speeds with a laptop when i plug it in to the router
  • The problem pc has an Intel I219-V with the latest drivers installed from here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ntel-ethernet-connection-i219v/downloads.html (i tried it with the default win10 drivers and it didnt work with those either)
  • It reports itself as being connected at 1Gpbs speed:
    QvyVvsB.png
  • Speed & Duplex in the advanced properties are set to Auto Negotiation, forcing it to 1000 full duplex, as a test, changed nothing
  • The router speed for all the ports are set to 1000 full duplex and the router reports this pc as being connected at 1000 full duplex and this happens on every port of the router for this PC
  • When i try a speedtest (googles speed test, speedtest.net, and fast.com) it ramps up to 96mbps in the first 2 seconds before going back to and settling at 82mbps
  • Downloading any file from any source in any app is capped to 9.7 MB/s (even in safe mode with networking), I should be getting near 50MB/s
I'm out of ideas, this pc's 1Gbps connection refuses to function any faster than 100mbps, despite saying its 1Gbps
Any help would be appreciated
The WAN port on the router could limit. Do a factory reset on your router, the set ONLY the admin password and WIFI info. Then retest. Lots of things in router settings can hurt performance.

Reactions: Grobe
The WAN port on the router could limit. Do a factory reset on your router, the set ONLY the admin password and WIFI info. Then retest. Lots of things in router settings can hurt performance.

I'm not familiar with Verizon Fios (I'm outside US), but if it's a fiber connection all the way to the user (FTTH) then the WAN port would be fiber.

Is there anything between the ISP router and your PC? Can you test with any other client, to try and figure if the limitation is between the router and that particular PC?

There are 2 ways Verizon installs fios. They run fiber into the house and terminate it on a ONT. You can request that verizon activate a ethernet port on the ONT and use your own router. The more common way is for them to use COAX to connect but this is using a form of MoCA that is only supported by verizon router so you have to use theirs.
There is a small chance if you are using your own router the wan port to the ONT dropped to 100mbps but this would not explain why a laptop works fine and the other device does not.

What I would try is to hook both the laptop and the other machine to the router and then copy large files between the machines. You can watch the resource monitor network tab to see the rates, be careful some are in MBYTES and other in Mbits. The other option would be to use a old line mode test tool called IPERF. This should show 900+mbps in both directions.

It would be most likely the port in the machine is dropping to 100mbps but you would think it would show you the 100mbps in the status. Maybe it is changing back and forth a lot. Maybe the event monitor will show errors on the ethernet. At first I thought you had one of the newer 2.5g ports which have a history of strange issues but yours appears to be the very stable 1gbit port. I would still try to get a driver directly from intel, sometime microsoft puts in generic drivers with their updates.

In any case the best test is a new cable. Some cables are very strange and they work on some machines but not the other. You need nothing fancy cat5e is fine but be sure it is pure copper cable with wire size 22-24, none of that flat or thin cable.

TommyTheTank

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
Thanks for the responses

I tried this and it didn't work, i even left the admin pass and wifi info at default settings

There are 2 ways Verizon installs fios. They run fiber into the house and terminate it on a ONT. You can request that verizon activate a ethernet port on the ONT and use your own router. The more common way is for them to use COAX to connect but this is using a form of MoCA that is only supported by verizon router so you have to use theirs.
There is a small chance if you are using your own router the wan port to the ONT dropped to 100mbps but this would not explain why a laptop works fine and the other device does not.

What I would try is to hook both the laptop and the other machine to the router and then copy large files between the machines. You can watch the resource monitor network tab to see the rates, be careful some are in MBYTES and other in Mbits. The other option would be to use a old line mode test tool called IPERF. This should show 900+mbps in both directions.

It would be most likely the port in the machine is dropping to 100mbps but you would think it would show you the 100mbps in the status. Maybe it is changing back and forth a lot. Maybe the event monitor will show errors on the ethernet. At first I thought you had one of the newer 2.5g ports which have a history of strange issues but yours appears to be the very stable 1gbit port. I would still try to get a driver directly from intel, sometime microsoft puts in generic drivers with their updates.

In any case the best test is a new cable. Some cables are very strange and they work on some machines but not the other. You need nothing fancy cat5e is fine but be sure it is pure copper cable with wire size 22-24, none of that flat or thin cable.

Its the verizon router G1100 with MoCA, ill try a different cable when i get one, i did try a 2nd cable but that reports 100mbps for both the problem PC and the laptop so there is something wrong with the 2nd cable

Last edited:
Did you buy cheap cable. There are massive amount of fake cable being sold. Most of what you see is that flat cable that has wires too small. Be sure it is marked or you are sure it actually meets the specs. You could have just got unlucky and had a quality cable that is bad, many companies test every cable so it is not very likely.

I guess you could try a different port on the g1100. It could be a port got damaged somehow but it is unlikely. I don't think you can change the router ports to anything other than auto but I guess you could check that also.

TommyTheTank

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
Did you buy cheap cable. There are massive amount of fake cable being sold. Most of what you see is that flat cable that has wires too small. Be sure it is marked or you are sure it actually meets the specs. You could have just got unlucky and had a quality cable that is bad, many companies test every cable so it is not very likely.

I guess you could try a different port on the g1100. It could be a port got damaged somehow but it is unlikely. I don't think you can change the router ports to anything other than auto but I guess you could check that also.

I just had some old cables, but I bought a new cat6 and the problem still persists, I've tried every port, I even just tried a wireless adapter on it to take the cable out of the equation, this is what it says with the adapter:
7jrpt71.png

585Mbps is what the wireless adapter is supposed to be but the speed test remains exactly the same, 82-83 Mbps with the wireless adapter or the cat6 cable (the cat6 cable reports 1Gbps)
My laptop and all other wireless devices on my network capable of connecting to the 5G wireless get at least 300Mbps when a speed test is run
I tried factory reseting the router again but it didn't change anything
Nothing else should be between this PC and the router, and nothing on this PC should be limiting the speed

kanewolf

Titan
I just had some old cables, but I bought a new cat6 and the problem still persists, I've tried every port, I even just tried a wireless adapter on it to take the cable out of the equation, this is what it says with the adapter:
7jrpt71.png

585Mbps is what the wireless adapter is supposed to be but the speed test remains exactly the same, 82-83 Mbps with the wireless adapter or the cat6 cable (the cat6 cable reports 1Gbps)
My laptop and all other wireless devices on my network capable of connecting to the 5G wireless get at least 300Mbps when a speed test is run
I tried factory reseting the router again but it didn't change anything
Nothing else should be between this PC and the router, and nothing on this PC should be limiting the speed
What motherboard do you have? Do you have any "game optimizer" software loaded like Asus GameFirst software ?

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for the responses

I tried this and it didn't work, i even left the admin pass and wifi info at default settings

Its the verizon router G1100 with MoCA, ill try a different cable when i get one, i did try a 2nd cable but that reports 100mbps for both the problem PC and the laptop so there is something wrong with the 2nd cable
Also maybe change your ethernet cables to all at least cat 6A.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 24, 2012
If you want your link speed to report over a gig then you would need another thernet card 1 that ether is 2.5 gig or a 10 gig ethernet card and Plug it into a pcie 4x or 8x slot if you are using a desktop and the toher end of the fiber optic ethernet cable would have to be plugged into a 2.5 gig port.

TommyTheTank

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
What motherboard do you have? Do you have any "game optimizer" software loaded like Asus GameFirst software ?
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and no i don't have any game optimizer type stuff, i tried running the speed test in safe mode with networking, where no extra software is running, and its still 82Mbps

If you want your link speed to report over a gig then you would need another thernet card 1 that ether is 2.5 gig or a 10 gig ethernet card and Plug it into a pcie 4x or 8x slot if you are using a desktop and the toher end of the fiber optic ethernet cable would have to be plugged into a 2.5 gig port.
I'm not trying to get it to report over 1gig, re-read the OP to understand the problem properly

kanewolf

Titan
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and no i don't have any game optimizer type stuff, i tried running the speed test in safe mode with networking, where no extra software is running, and its still 82Mbps
Have you tried booting a linux distro off a USB stick. That is one way to ensure that Windows is not part of the problem.
That motherboard did come with the GameFirst software. You checked your installed programs, and you don't have that installed ?