1TB 1333MHz (32x32GB) vs 512GB 1600MHz (32x16GB) RAM Speed

RamiFede

Prominent
May 11, 2017
It is for a server. My boss has bought a Supermicro A+ H8QGi-LN4F, four AMD Opteron 6378 16-core (2.4GHz) and AMD FirePro W9100 32GB.
It's especially for video editing & 3D rendering.
Thanks.

Solution
I have worked in HPC (high performance computing) for many years. There is nothing more disappointing than having a large number CPUs and not being able to keep data flowing into and out of them. When you can't get enough I/O you just have CPUs sitting idle. You HAVE to have a balanced system. CPUs are only part of the equation. I/O both in network and disk bandwidth are required. Try to use some of the budget to balance the CPUs you have.

kanewolf

Titan
Can you feed enough data to that box? By default it only has gigabit networking. I would think you are going to need 10GE to get data to and from that box.

Just because it CAN hold 1TB RAM doesn't mean that is the best answer. You need to evaluate your data sizes I/O infrastructure, etc. Look at the RAM/core ratio. Is 8GB or 16GB per core useful?

I am betting that 32GB DIMMs aren't cheap, think if that $$$ could be better used for network or storage infrastructure and get 8GB or 16GB DIMMS which will be much cheaper.

But, I am guessing your boss doesn't know a thing about IT. If he did he wouldn't have purchased an Opteron based host.

RamiFede

Prominent
May 11, 2017

Thank you, kanewolf. Your answer serves as a guide. I have already told him.
Sure, he is not an IT expert, he traveled to the United States with a couple of co-workers and bought some stuff for the studio. But, he thinks that Opteron and general AMD products are beautiful. And me too :)

kanewolf

Titan
I have worked in HPC (high performance computing) for many years. There is nothing more disappointing than having a large number CPUs and not being able to keep data flowing into and out of them. When you can't get enough I/O you just have CPUs sitting idle. You HAVE to have a balanced system. CPUs are only part of the equation. I/O both in network and disk bandwidth are required. Try to use some of the budget to balance the CPUs you have.

Solution