1tb or 2tb HDD?

perfectn

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
The hard disk on my laptop failed, I pretty much do everything on it from games to working, since my pc is about 7 years old and I plan on building a new pc maybe later in the year. I don't do hardcore gaming anymore, since the laptop has an okayish card and the laptop can run typical games like League of Legends.

That being said, since the HDD is failing, I've done two backups on an External 3tb HDD. So I currently have 900 GB / 1TB full on the laptop, and 1.8/3tb full on the External. I could probably lower the storage taken by deleting unnecessary stuff, I'm sure I have duplicated files.

My question is should I go for a 1TB or 2TB?

I've read combos like 1TB and 128 SSHD for the same price, etc. I've read that TBs higher than 1 also have a higher chance of failing completely? I'm pretty much torn between a 1TB HDD and 2.

The laptop is a Samsung np550p7c, so as far as I know, I have to use some sort of cable to install a 2nd drive.

Solution
If you 1 Tb hard drive is 90% full, than you need to upgrade it to a larger capacity model. Hard drives work better when they are not stuffed to near capacity which promotes constant fragmentation of the drive, which hurts performance.

While an SSD is ideal for performance, if this is going into one drive bay, than it would need to be a hybrid drive, which are more expensive than an SSD, and on top of that, do not offer nearly as much performance. This is why we don't see much attention paid to them.

As seen in the review below, the performance of a hybrid drive is much closer to a mechanical drive overall than an SSD.

http://techreport.com/review/25425/seagate-desktop-sshd-2tb-hybrid-drive-reviewed/5

vexzite

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I personally think (if you don't have one already) is to save your money and buy a 1tb hard drive with an SSD, as appose to a 2tb hard drive. Unless you need the extra storage.

Installing Windows and games on an SSD is amazing. Once you go SSD you never go back

If you 1 Tb hard drive is 90% full, than you need to upgrade it to a larger capacity model. Hard drives work better when they are not stuffed to near capacity which promotes constant fragmentation of the drive, which hurts performance.

While an SSD is ideal for performance, if this is going into one drive bay, than it would need to be a hybrid drive, which are more expensive than an SSD, and on top of that, do not offer nearly as much performance. This is why we don't see much attention paid to them.

As seen in the review below, the performance of a hybrid drive is much closer to a mechanical drive overall than an SSD.

http://techreport.com/review/25425/seagate-desktop-sshd-2tb-hybrid-drive-reviewed/5

Solution