1x8GB(12800) or 1x8GB+1x2GB(10700)

aciduzzo

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Hi, everyone.
I know mixing RAM isn't recommended, but i have just added an 8GB HyperX Fury stick running at 800MHz (9-9-9-27) to my system. If i leave the (original) 2GB stick attached, the laptop works fine, but obviously the memory speed/timing drops slightly (to 665, 9-9-9-24). It's not an option to buy an additional stick atm.

My question is: would i get better performance with just the 8GB stick (plus page file), or is the extra 2GB worth sacrificing some memory speed for? Would dual-channel functionality be affected? FYI: I usually use in the region of 6-10GB of memory.

Solution
If the two sticks work with each other,, then it would be fine to keep the second stick and it may even be better based on how much memory you use. The performance characteristics wouldn't change much between the two configurations, but the added capacity might be useful.
If the two sticks work with each other,, then it would be fine to keep the second stick and it may even be better based on how much memory you use. The performance characteristics wouldn't change much between the two configurations, but the added capacity might be useful.

Solution