2-3 Xbox's witha an open NAT

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
I have an Xbox one, so does my brother, and my dad uses a 360. The problem we have is whoever gets on first usually gets the open NAT and the other two get a moderate or strict. I even have my xbox port forwarded. I have also tried UPnP. Nothing works. I am going to get a new router for the house this Christmas, and want to know what to get. I will list two links to routers I am considering, but please give me input and suggestions. Also I do not care about the 360 that much. I just want the Ones to have and open NAT.

Thanks

Also I have 95 down and 5 up on average.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-Anywhere-WRT1900AC-FFP/dp/B00K91DB7Y

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6

Can't be fixed. Open nat means the end machine is using a particular port on the real ip address. When you have multiple devices that want to use exactly the same port number who ever gets it first wins. The other machine needs to use a different port number but some application are not designed to allow this.

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015

How is it that my neighbor gets 5 or 6 Xbox Ones at once with all open NATs?

Because xbox has some ability to work with UPNP and change the port it requests. This is very unique to the xbox so I know little about it. It may be that the 360 is getting in the way of whatever trick the xbox is doing. It could be a issue with UPnP compatibility with this xbox feature. There is little documentation on how they accomplish this. In general it is not possible to get the same port to run as open nat so it is some how changing its port request.

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
Ok. That is unfortunate...

I am pretty sure this is completely different, but with my high internet speeds, sometimes my connections still sucks, even though I am wired in. I will get into games and lag a lot. So would a new router help this atleast? My current router is an old linksys... Don't know the router model.

TRENDING THREADS