Question 2.4 Ghz more stable than 5 Ghz?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I have two types of Wireless connections in my house. One DSL 2.4 Ghz connection which runs on channel 13, and Fiber optic connection which runs on 5 Ghz channel 100 (For best performance). I live a one-story 1600 square feet brick house, and both connections have their routers placed in my living room. Then I am in my living room the signal has to travel through 3 - 4 bricks walls.

The DSL connections Wifi is strangly the stabel and haven't experienced in connection drops, and I get round 36-40 mbps in download and 15 mbps pr. second in upload.

The Fiber connection 5 Ghz suffers the most, it drops from around 600/600 of a 1 Gbps connection to between 40-98 Mbps download to around 20-30 mbps in upload.

If I walk around just outside my house the Wifi fiber connection is even lower, even though it only has to go through 1 brick wall.

Both routers are no name routers given to me by a phone company and a Fiber company. I have done a wifi scan and I am the only one the 5 Ghz band in my neighbourhood.

The fiber router transmits both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz signal by default. Could that by some strange reason interfer with the quality of the signal? Or are antennas in the fiber company router just simply crap? I have even written to the Fiber company to ask for the range of their router, but the 20s something service rep don't to be able to provide that info.

Or should I simply go out and buy a better router for my fiber connection? If yes which one do you surgest ? Which can send out a signal which can go through brick walls better?

Hello euroman

2.4ghz is designed to be a long range signal, but it offsets the range with lower speeds
5 ghz does the opposite

bandwith also depends on the devices, as you pointed out a better router may make a difference, but then the receiver (your networkcard) must also be able to make use of the improved bandwith

Outside of this there may be other factors at play, i'd suggest testing in the same room as your router to see if it makes a difference

I would advise against " a better router" placing an inexpensive mesh wifi network such as tp link deco m5 will net you far greater results in terms of bandwith, stability and coverage

it's also very easy to set up

Reactions: Euroman28

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Hello euroman

2.4ghz is designed to be a long range signal, but it offsets the range with lower speeds
5 ghz does the opposite

bandwith also depends on the devices, as you pointed out a better router may make a difference, but then the receiver (your networkcard) must also be able to make use of the improved bandwith

Outside of this there may be other factors at play, i'd suggest testing in the same room as your router to see if it makes a difference

I would advise against " a better router" placing an inexpensive mesh wifi network such as tp link deco m5 will net you far greater results in terms of bandwith, stability and coverage

it's also very easy to set up

In my laptop there is an Intel 9560 receiver card.

But anyway the fiber company have offered a set of Nokia Mesh becons for free which I get early next month. Then I guess I will just wait and see if it improves the connection speed.

But thanks for good advice.

In my laptop there is an Intel 9560 receiver card.

But anyway the fiber company have offered a set of Nokia Mesh becons for free which I get early next month. Then I guess I will just wait and see if it improves the connection speed.

But thanks for good advice.
no worries :)
great that you can have a free solution!

concerning your receiver, I don't know all the ins and outs, but as it is recent (3 yrs) it should be up to standard