[SOLVED] 2 6 Pin to 8 pin adapter not going in 2060

choosegoose03

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
Basically I installed my 2060 into my pc and connected my two six pin connectors into the adapter. All I need to do is plug in the 8 pin connector end of the adapter into my gpu. The problem is the 8 pin adapter goes in but not all the way. It goes in a little bit to where I can easily pull it out by pulling it a bit. I’ve tried pushing it in with more force but it won’t fully go in. Not sure whats the issue here.

Solution
Could be a poorly made adapter.

Sure 2 6 pins can provide same power as an 8 pin so it's not overloading the connectors, but there are 1 issues.

1) usually if a psu does not have a 6+2 connector it is very old or insufficient.

2) these adapters can be cheaply made with thin wire which can have issues

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Using a adapter for your GPU is an horrible idea.

If your PSU does not have 6+2 cable it just mean it wasn't made to be used with a GPU like that.

What is your PSU brand and model and how old is it?

Not so. 6-pin PCIe connectors are rated for 75W. 8-pin PCIe connectors are rated for 150W.

A dual-6-pin to single-8-pin adapter is safe. Admittedly, just about the only safe adapter one could use on a GPU.

@choosegoose03 - I know it may seem obvious, but are you sure you aren't accidentally trying to connect the 8-pin end 180 degrees rotated?

choosegoose03

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
Not so. 6-pin PCIe connectors are rated for 75W. 8-pin PCIe connectors are rated for 150W.

A dual-6-pin to single-8-pin adapter is safe. Admittedly, just about the only safe adapter one could use on a GPU.

@choosegoose03 - I know it may seem obvious, but are you sure you aren't accidentally trying to connect the 8-pin end 180 degrees rotated?
yes I made sure, my friend asked that as well. Not sure whats up because all I need to do is plug the 8 pin adapter into my gpu. It just won’t go in all the way and lock into place like the many videos i’ve seen. I get the power down pci-e cable not connected message because of this.

Could be a poorly made adapter.

Sure 2 6 pins can provide same power as an 8 pin so it's not overloading the connectors, but there are 1 issues.

1) usually if a psu does not have a 6+2 connector it is very old or insufficient.

2) these adapters can be cheaply made with thin wire which can have issues

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution
Basically I installed my 2060 into my pc and connected my two six pin connectors into the adapter. All I need to do is plug in the 8 pin connector end of the adapter into my gpu. The problem is the 8 pin adapter goes in but not all the way. It goes in a little bit to where I can easily pull it out by pulling it a bit. I’ve tried pushing it in with more force but it won’t fully go in. Not sure whats the issue here.
Very few, if any, PSU's with only 6-pins anymore. What is the brand, exact model and age of this PSU?

Reactions: Nemesia