Question 2 dead PSU's - what gives?

Apr 5, 2019
Had some bits left over from a recent upgrade (MSI mobo, 2500k, 8GB ram) and decided to use them to upgrade a family members pc.

before the upgrade all parts were working fine.

I installed the board, still fully assembled with cpu+fan + ram, into the case and connected it all up - nothing. the case had a Nexus 500w psu which should have been fine. But I did the paperclip test and it was dead. So I bought another cheap 500w psu and connected it up (I should have checked it first I know) and that didn't do anything either. Paper clip test ... thats dead too. So either something has happened to the mobo or, i've just been really unlucky with two PSU's.

No smell, no activity nothing both times.

My real concern is - is a Mobo capable of blowing a psu? I don't want to buy another just to find it does it again.

Thanks in advance

Apr 5, 2019
Update:

I exchanged the PSU today and checked it before I assembled the pc.

I also bought a new case and tested it with another motherboard -all was fine.

I then assembled the MSI board and bits, double checked all the connections - made sure there were no shorts etc. Turned it on and the PSU made 4 loud bangs and started smelling very nasty. So in answer to my original concern - it would appear that the board became damaged on removing it from my old rig and has fried three PSUs.

You live and learn.