[SOLVED] 2 Different (but very similar) pairs of memory, compatible?

Aug 3, 2020
Hello all. I currently have a system that has 2 sticks of G.Skill 8GB DDR4 at 3000MHz. I want to add 2 more sticks, and there is a local person selling 2 sticks that physically look exactly the same and are also 3000Mhz. The model numbers are slightly different.

My current sticks:
F4-3000C15D-16GVRB
CL 15-16-16-35, 1.35V

The sticks for sale:
F4-3000C16D-16GRVB
CL 16-18-18-38, 1.35V

The only difference is the latency numbers. Again, I have 2 sticks already in Dual-channel mode. I would be putting the other 2 sticks in as their own pair. Can I place the second pair in the other dual-channel slots? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-bk1guy

Solution
One of the things most people don't think about is different density DRAM modules. Some times the module manufacturer will change to a different chip that has a higher density therefore requiring fewer chips for each module.

So that's one of the things you can look at to get a better idea whether or not they are compatible. Do the different modules have chips by different manufacturers and/or the same number of chips per module?

But I agree with Mandark on this - always buy new.
D

Deleted member 14196

You are on your own for testing as nobody can tell you if they’re compatible or not. Personally I would never buy used ram for any reason and if you need more buy a kit the size that you need and scrap the old ones

One of the things most people don't think about is different density DRAM modules. Some times the module manufacturer will change to a different chip that has a higher density therefore requiring fewer chips for each module.

So that's one of the things you can look at to get a better idea whether or not they are compatible. Do the different modules have chips by different manufacturers and/or the same number of chips per module?

But I agree with Mandark on this - always buy new.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS