[SOLVED] 2 different PCs are power cycling in the exact same manner.

neonplants

Prominent
May 21, 2020
corbucorbu.com
Hey everyone,

Been dealing with a PC that powers off on its own, freezes sometimes, and then power cycles intermittently for over a year now. I have replaced the motherboard, replaced the PSU, replaced the CPU. A reputable repair tech told me that all my parts passed diagnostics tests perfectly. He said the symptoms sounded like a dying GPU, so I bought a new GPU, even in this market.

Aside from the hard drive, the RAM, the cooler and the case, I've replaced every single component in the PC to fix the problem. But it continues. It starts up, dies, and repeats.

Tonight, I took everything out of the case and did a breadboard test, down to the motherboard, CPU, PSU and cooler. Same issue.

The crazy thing is, I then swapped out the motherboard. Same issue. Swapped out the PSU. Same issue. Even tried using the stock cooler. Same issue. So I have 2 completely different, unrelated PCs sitting on my kitchen table now, each power cycling in the exact same way. There is not a single component in common between them.

Do you have any idea what could be going on?
I guess it's possible that the power in my apartment could be weird, but I have so much pro audio gear and multiple Macs around the place, none of which have ever had an issue. As a sidenote, I have plugged the PC into its own outlet/circuit, but the issue persists.

Thanks so much.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tC8D9N

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K (Standard Folding Box) 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($354.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($146.26)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY CS900 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.80)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($349.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA Geforce RTX 3060 GAMING Video Card ($797.00 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower Case ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro, stream and record in 1080p60, superior low latency technology, H.264 hardware encoding, PCIe ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Elgato Cam Link Pro - PCIe Camera Capture Card, 4 HDMI inputs, 1080p60 Full HD, 4K30, Multiview, Streaming, Video conferencing, OBS, Zoom, etc. ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2891.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-16 18:21 EDT-0400

Solution
Your parts list for RAM lists two different kits....; are you mixing them?

BIOS latest version for mainboard? Default your mainboard BIOS settings to default.

Test for stability with one RAM kit (i.e., both modules from same kit ) at default RAM timings (2133 MHz); if stable, you can play with higher clock speeds for RAM...(default settings in BIOS) Not every RAM kit might be flawless at 1600 MHz (3200 MT/s) at default 1.20 V RAM voltage)

You do not even need a GPU installed, since your CPU supports integrated graphics,; so you can test for stability with PSU, CPU, and a pair of RAM sticks (or even one at a time if you think a stick has an issue), and one SSD for the OS...(leave all extraneous parts disconnected while testing)

BIOS latest version for mainboard? Default your mainboard BIOS settings to default.

Test for stability with one RAM kit (i.e., both modules from same kit ) at default RAM timings (2133 MHz); if stable, you can play with higher clock speeds for RAM...(default settings in BIOS) Not every RAM kit might be flawless at 1600 MHz (3200 MT/s) at default 1.20 V RAM voltage)

You do not even need a GPU installed, since your CPU supports integrated graphics,; so you can test for stability with PSU, CPU, and a pair of RAM sticks (or even one at a time if you think a stick has an issue), and one SSD for the OS...(leave all extraneous parts disconnected while testing)

Solution

neonplants

Prominent
May 21, 2020
corbucorbu.com

Hey,
RAM is actually the same for all 4 sticks, not sure why it shows different prices. I tested it with no RAM at all, and it didn’t get as far as showing the RAM error light. Mobo shows the CPU error light and then off, repeat. Same result if I use one stick of RAM. Testing without a hard drive as well, same result no matter what I do.

Last edited: