2 Drivers for Display Adapter - Random Black Screen

May 14, 2018
I have a GPU problem.
But a really bisarre and rare one.

So, I recently bought a new Mobo, CPU and RAMs.
I connected them all to the computer, and after a long struggle with installing the operative system (Windows 10 64x bit), I finally got the PC up and running, only to be met with a new problem.

The screen was black.

I fast realised that it was the GPU that was the problem, luckily, I could start up in Safe Mode and disable my Nvidia GeForce GTX 770, so my pc could run on the Microsoft Basic-Monitor.

I tried installing DDU, remove all old drivers, then I installed Driver Booster, and got the newest and best drivers installed back again, only to be met by a black screen on multiple occasions, until boot number 7, where I finally got into the PC.

I downloaded GPU-Z to check temperatures and such, and I also were met by an odd discovery in my Device Manager.
I now have 2 drivers for my Display Adapter installed. Both the one for my Nvidia GeForce GTX 770, and the one for my Intel Microsoft Basic-Monitor.

There is a fault on the Intel one, and no fault on the Nvidia one.
But when I turned off the PC and came back 15 mins later to try and play again, the screen was black.

Any suggestions? To what this problem is?
Can I have 2 drivers installed?
The hardware seems to work, also the software when I finally got in after boot 7, because I had a good 3 hours World of Warcraft gaming sessions when that happened, but now, black screen.
So it seems like a conflict, but don't know how to fix.

Solution
_ Install DDU (display Driver uninstaller) >> http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html, cleanse your nvidia drivers in safe mode, then reboot in normal windows and download install nvidia latest drivers,
If doesn't work repeat same step with DDU but this time let windows push it's own drivers through internet.

R0GG

Distinguished
- Might be Bios hesitating which display to favor if it's on auto: what model is your motherboard please? does it have an integrated graphic card ( you can tell buy the video outputs located on the rear I/O of your motherboard : D-SUB,DVI, HDMI or display port?

R0GG

Distinguished

In order to correctly install your integrated intel graphic driver
- Boot into your motherboard Bios under the 3rd tab= Advanced, 4th line = Primary Graphic Adapter: switch it to the integrated graphics = iGPU as primary, save and reset, attach your monitor cable to your motherboard rear I/O display output (HDMI for example),
- Once in windows environment install your Intel graphic drivers, reboot if asked, you should have intel graphic control panel showing in desktop context menu and in the systray,
- Also name of the card should be fixed in windows device manager .

Bios/Primary Graphic Adapter: Page 60 of your motherboard user manual available here >> http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z370%20Pro4.pdf shows how

You can switch back to your GTX 770 as primary display through same steps in the Bios setting it to PCI device this time then attaching display to the card.

May 14, 2018
Ok, so I disabeled the PCI and enabled Onboard in Primary Graphic Adapter settings in BIOS.
I took my monitor cable out from my HDMI in my Graphic Card, and stuck it into the DVI on my Mobo.

I logged into my computer, updated the onboard graphic card, so that instead it is called "Microsoft Basic-Monitor" it is now called "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630".

Just to be sure on my next step.

I have rebooted, and everything is still working.
But now, I should go into my BIOS and set my Primary Graphic Adapter to PSI again, and stick my monitor cable into my HDMI (Graphic Card)??

R0GG

Distinguished
Exactly.
Now you know your way around toggling between the 2 displays, if you miss a step you can easily figure it out,

Also in some motherboards, when Bios for the primary graphic adapter is " AUTO" or " PRIMARY" : you don't have to go back and change it in the Bios, because on reboot the Bios will automatically detect the card attached to your monitor and switch the video output to it, some times it takes a reset.
But when you SPECIFY " iGPU, iGFX , PCI , you are sure it's gonna be done at the first try.

So basically what I am saying is you can have your Bios setting on auto,so don't have to go and change it every time you switch graphics.

May 14, 2018
Hey again.

So I went into my Bios settings and set my Primary Graphic Adapter to PSI, and put my monitor caple into my GPU, but, the black screen still occurs.
I can just disable my Nvidia driver in device manager, and then there is no problem, but I won't be able to play games.

UPDATE: It says my Intel Graphic has no problems, but my Nvidia has an error code 43

My PC only works in Onboard settings with cable in DVI-D (Mobo)
When I set it to PSI settings and put it into my HDMI (Graphic Card), it is back to be named Microsoft Basic-Monitor.
It's like it is not updated, but haven't done anything but changing it over.

R0GG

Distinguished
_ Install DDU (display Driver uninstaller) >> http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html, cleanse your nvidia drivers in safe mode, then reboot in normal windows and download install nvidia latest drivers,
If doesn't work repeat same step with DDU but this time let windows push it's own drivers through internet.

Solution
May 14, 2018
Thanks ROGG!

I only have one problem now!
It says I have an error 43 on my Nvidia driver.
I have tried until now:

1. Unplug pc and hold down power button for 1 minute.
2. Try push my PSI cables into graphic card to make sure it gets its power.
3. Tried using DDU and tried both with Windows and with Nvidia's driver install.

Some people say you should download old versions on purpose from Nvidia and then let Windows do the final update, to fix this, will this be a good idea?

Best Regards
Henrik

R0GG

Distinguished
You're welcome, and yes, it's a good idea to try at times letting "windows to get it's stuff together" and then re-build on that!
- I would try doing the driver cleansing while having my display attached to the motherboard integrated one (intel) and /or having unmounted the GTX graphics out of the case. Uninstall Nvidia software (programs and features)> reboot in safe mode, Run DDU, reboot normal, check intel graphic is still installed correctly if not reinstall. Switch primary display in Bios
- Re-mount GTX 770 in PCI slot+ power> boot with integrated display to Bios> switch primary display in Bios to PCI = gtx> save reboot> let windows install it's nvidia drivers (online), check device manager if successful> reboot> install Nvidia Driver package that last worked for you, verify is ok> reboot> install nvidia latest drivers (optional) or you can go straight to the latest Nvidia drivers package.

Also check this thread: NVIDIA & Windows 10 (How i Solved the Code 43 Error) >> https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/861231/geforce-drivers/nvidia-amp-windows-10-how-i-solved-the-code-43-error-/