2 GB DDR3 Modules Drop to $10 Contract Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]SLABBO[/nom]well, i guess this kind of offsets the increases from hard drives...but not by much.[/citation]
I'm pretty sure the two are related. The rise in the price of hard drives has decreased demand for PC leading to the decrease in the price for RAM.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
anyone with sandy bridge won't need ram for anything other than bragging.

Realistically, the only power ram user is a llano user.

Rather than shipping (pointless) large and fast pieces, they should spend the cash on making something new

[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]anyone with sandy bridge won't need ram for anything other than bragging.Realistically, the only power ram user is a llano user.Rather than shipping (pointless) large and fast pieces, they should spend the cash on making something new[/citation]

True but Sandy Bridge using DDR3 1333 has much faster memory bandwidth than Llano using DDR3 1866.

Either way Ivy Bridge will be out soon enough and supports DDR3 2133. Not even sure that speed would be needed for anything really.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]anyone with sandy bridge won't need ram for anything other than bragging.[/citation]
Oh good then I'll brag about my next machine I'm thinking of, with 16 GB of RAM. Don't why I would need more than 1/4 of it but I don't know what I plan on doing with my computer in the future, either. The idea of installing a CaptureCard sound like a plan, though. Hopefully it won't interrupt my BF3/MW3 gaming, but then again, it's not like we live in a 64-bit world, yet either. We're just probably 1/4-1/3 of the way there. Doesn't seem like gaming has headed that direction, yet.

G

bad title, maybe 1066 or 1333, I want something faster than 1600, not going to see that for $10/$20 a piece

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]So, you wait on a new HD and build urself a RAMDrive lol[/citation]
I wonder if gigabyte will release a new version of the iRam drive or anyone else brings to market something similar. If they did at current prices I would jump at the chance as it would be many times faster the SSD but also many times more likely that it all goes when the power goes out.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]funguseater[/nom]Damn, when are we getting DDR5?[/citation]
... After DDR4? lol

It's coming to market in 2014. In other words, don't hold your breath.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
hey i say why not if you can snag 16bg of DDR3 ram at a great price do it. I mena yeha the vast majority oif people will never need that much ram at least for a while, but you can never have enough ram even if it makes little to no diff at all in performance having that much now, you may need it sooner or later when programs really start to take advantage of it, then you will be kicking yourself for not having it when you could have had a chance at buying it much lower now then when you do really need it.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]So, you wait on a new HD and build urself a RAMDrive lol[/citation]
I had been thinking over the prospects there, too: that SSDs might see a boost in sales due to the spike in HDD supply. Of course, NAND flash is built using a different process than DRAM, but market prices I see would suggest that NAND prices are also pretty low too, even if not as staggeringly cheap as DRAM is.

[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]anyone with sandy bridge won't need ram for anything other than bragging.[/citation]
There's uses for a PC other than web surfing and gaming. For those using production software (even something as simple as Photoshop) you can very rapidly run out of RAM when working on something really big. In fact, that's the reason why there's a point to the quad-channel memory controllers of Intel's SandyBridge-E and AMD's Interlagos: not for the doubled memory bandwidth, but because they give you 8 slots instead of 4; that way 64GB is possible, and 32GB is pretty affordable. And yes, if you're working on audio or video editing, you WILL use up that much: the editing has to be done with it uncompressed, after all.

[citation][nom]funguseater[/nom]Damn, when are we getting DDR5?[/citation]
You might be confusing GDDR with DDR; they are two separate things. Currently, no DDR beyond DDR3 exists yet. GDDR memories are actually modified versions of other DDRs; as of right now, there's been GDDR3, GDDR4, and GDDR5. The first two have been modified versions of DDR2, and the last is a modification of DDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.