2 graphics cards on a single 6(+2) pin + 6(+2) pin PSU cable, 750W eVGA G2L PSU

watevah

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
Hi, I think this has been answered before but I just want to make sure - the aforementioned PSU has 3 cables - 2x 8 pin and 1x 6(+2) + 6(+2) pin. I'm trying to fit 4 x RX 580 8 pin VGAs with these 3 cables and in theory 6(+2) + 6(+2) pin cable should be able to supply full 300w to power up 2 cards.
The cards will be heavily loaded (mining) so before doing that I want to be sure my 6(+2) + 6(+2) cable will hold.

Solution
It should work, but you should not run the GPUs at full power when mining. You should undervolt and underclock the core to reduce the power consumption of the cards. I remember running 4 GPUs on an EVGA 850W B2. They would pull 725W (at the wall) at full power, but after modding I could get it down to around 525W. I used MSI Afterburner for this.

Best settings if I remember correctly:

-100mV core
1120MHz core

And mem clock depended on the specific brand as well as any BIOS mods used.

*Also know that 725W at the wall is not 725W to your system. At 90% efficiency 725W at the wall means your PSU is outputting 652.5W to your system with the remaining 72.5W being wasted as heat. So your 750W G2 could pull 830W from the wall and be...
It should work, but you should not run the GPUs at full power when mining. You should undervolt and underclock the core to reduce the power consumption of the cards. I remember running 4 GPUs on an EVGA 850W B2. They would pull 725W (at the wall) at full power, but after modding I could get it down to around 525W. I used MSI Afterburner for this.

Best settings if I remember correctly:

-100mV core
1120MHz core

And mem clock depended on the specific brand as well as any BIOS mods used.

*Also know that 725W at the wall is not 725W to your system. At 90% efficiency 725W at the wall means your PSU is outputting 652.5W to your system with the remaining 72.5W being wasted as heat. So your 750W G2 could pull 830W from the wall and be outputting its rated 747W to the system and remain stable. But I certainly would not recommend doing that especially for extended periods of time. ATX power supplies are designed to run 8 hours a day under full load. But a less than full load should be fine for extended periods of time on a high quality unit like the G2.

Solution

watevah

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017

Thanks mate, BIOS modding, undervolting and underclocking will be done of course.
Just wanted to be sure I'm covered even at full load.