Question 2 Hard drives, 1 being detected or able to be used.

firefarter34

Commendable
Dec 15, 2018
When I took my system out of raid on my old computer, I took two hard drives from it out of the four and put them in my new computer. As you can see, only 1 is being utilized and I can't figure out why for the life of me.

I'm not a storage expert by any means but I know a little bit.

Previous thread

Screenshot_11.png

Sorry this took so long, I got busy with work and overtime. Some family stuff bUt I have time now. Hopefully you're still alive there.

Disk 0, there's activity lots of it and the only one I can see
Screenshot_13.png

Disk 1 No activity, barren like my mind at work
Screenshot_12.png

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks like your boot manager etc ended up on the secondary drive. The partitions marked in yellow essentially form one drive, for the purposes of booting/operating.

1.png

The red aspect is an unallocated partition. you'd need to create an active partition and assign a drive letter (right click on the unallocated space) before it will become usable.

firefarter34

Commendable
Dec 15, 2018
What will happen when I start making the partition after clicking finish? Will it restart my computeR? will it take an hour? will my computer explode? I've never done this before so I'd like to know what happens

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You'll have another partition/drive to work with.

Should be fairly instant.... Nothing will explode. Just make sure you're only dealing with the unallocated partition.

Realistically, it's not a great idea that your OS install is split across multiple drives. It can happen, but it can also be a little problematic.

Reactions: firefarter34

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's not that it's "on" multiple drives, but the boot manager etc has ended up on a secondary drive.
Essentially makes them dependent. I would expect that if you removed the second drive, your OS/primary drive would not successfully boot.

EDIT just saw you linked a prior thread about RAID.... Not what I would expect to see if these were previously in RAID, but I'd need to read through your other thread.

firefarter34

Commendable
Dec 15, 2018
Ah, that explains why when I tried to change out the drives to see if this drive failed, why i couldn't write to it, it failed to boot.

That makes so much sense. How do I get them all on one drive? I'll need to know when I get an SSD

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ah, that explains why when I tried to change out the drives to see if this drive failed, why i couldn't write to it, it failed to boot.

That makes so much sense. How do I get them all on one drive? I'll need to know when I get an SSD

Clear installing to the SSD, after creating your own bootable install media would be the way to go - to avoid a reoccurrence of the partitions being created on multiple drives, disconnect the HDDs before install.

Once Windows is installed successfully, reconnect the HDDs.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/