2 internet connections 2 routers one network

Oct 13, 2018
Hello,

I read a lot about this but I'm felling that my case is different and I'll explain why.

I have 2 internet connections in my house both slow 8mbps. All the devices in the house is using wifi and not ethernet. I want to connect for example my smart tv and my laptop to one wifi network and the phones and tablets on the other and all the devices being in the same network so as casting something from my phone to android tv works.

I'm not interested into combined the two connections.

PS I cannot change my router because a have voip and my routers don't have wan

Thank you in advance

Your case is not different at all, people ask this all the time, albeit using slightly different terminologies.

You are running two different subnets (as desired) because you want set1 to use Internet1, and set2 to use Internet2, hence you are running 2 DHCP servers. The DHCP server gives out GATEWAY, which tells the PC how to get out to the Internet.

So now the issue is, how do you get the 2 subnets to talk to each other. U cannot simply wire a cable between the 2 and voila! it doesn't work that way. You need a TRUE ROUTER (a box with 2 Ethernet ports) in its original definition between the 2 subnets to accomplish this. You can buy a ready-made box, EDGEROUTER comes to mind, usd$hundreds. Or maybe you can rig something with an old PC with 2 Ethernet NICs. Windows Internet Connection Sharing? am not 100% sure ICS can, up to u to do further research, but that's the gist.

The way you can accomplish this is rather tedious. As stated the DHCP is your major problem.

What you could do is leave 1 router run as normal. Let say it has ip 192.168.0.1. On your second router you could use ip 192.168.0.2 and disable the DHCP server. You would connect the 2 routers together via the lan port.

At this point the second router does nothing. What you would have to do is every device you want to use the second router you manually set ip address and gateway. The gateway would be 192.168.0.2. The main risk is like any static ip assignment you must make sure router 1 does not give out that ip to another user. There are setting in the dhcp setup for the router to exclude ranges of IP.

It will work but it is kinda a pain.

The more expensive way is a dual wan router. It make the lan side simpler since it is all one network. The problem now is you must put in lists of mac addresses of the device you want send to the second ISP connection. You should be able to place this router in front of your current routers if you want to.

It is more tedious than hard to get what you want you just have to be very careful.

Oct 13, 2018
The way you can accomplish this is rather tedious. As stated the DHCP is your major problem.

What you could do is leave 1 router run as normal. Let say it has ip 192.168.0.1. On your second router you could use ip 192.168.0.2 and disable the DHCP server. You would connect the 2 routers together via the lan port.

At this point the second router does nothing. What you would have to do is every device you want to use the second router you manually set ip address and gateway. The gateway would be 192.168.0.2. The main risk is like any static ip assignment you must make sure router 1 does not give out that ip to another user. There are setting in the dhcp setup for the router to exclude ranges of IP.

It will work but it is kinda a pain.

The more expensive way is a dual wan router. It make the lan side simpler since it is all one network. The problem now is you must put in lists of mac addresses of the device you want send to the second ISP connection. You should be able to place this router in front of your current routers if you want to.

It is more tedious than hard to get what you want you just have to be very careful.

Thank you for your answer and I'm familiar with these procedure but I think that when you connect to the second router will use bandwidth from the first router as well.

In the past for a friends house I setup the network as I describe below. He had 1 internet connection to the basement and he want internet on the second floor. So to accomplish that we had the modem router to the basement and a second router to the second floor connected with ethernet. And I setup different I'm and different dhcp range on each one. For example the first router had up 192.168.1.1 and dhcp range from 192.168.1.9 to 192.168.1.110 and the second router had I'm 192.168.1.2 and dhcp range from 192.168.1.111 to 192.168.1.250 and worked great

I understand that you suggest me do the same thing but not with one modem/router and one router as I mentioned above but with two modem/router. But in that case both modem/router will use bandwidth from the other. Am I wrong?

It can not work with 2 dhcp servers...it is almost pure luck what device selects which.

What happens is a pc send out a broadcast that says someone give me a IP address. Both routers receive this and respond. The PC will then choose. In general it will take the first it receives but you are talking extremely small time difference so you can never really predict which it will receive first. You would think it would be the box you were physically connected to but if the router is even slightly busy the other router may be able to respond first.

This is why users of at least one router must use static ip assignments.

It depends what you mean bandwidth. The traffic will only pass lan-wan if you send it to the gateway ip. So your internet bandwidth is not shared just because it physically passes through it.

Although it is not this simple anymore what you see in a router is a small switch connected to the lan ports. one or more wifi chips logically connected to the switch and a route cpu with a single connection to the switch chip as well as a connection to the wan port.

Traffic going say lan-lan stays on the switch chip. It never even uses cpu cycles much less the internet. Now technically it is using the "bandwidth" of the switch chip but that is much higher than your internet connection.

This maybe unavoidable if u want everybody to go through WIFI. Ethernet devices, can go through switch without router's intervention.

For example the first router had up 192.168.1.1 and dhcp range from 192.168.1.9 to 192.168.1.110 and the second router had I'm 192.168.1.2 and dhcp range from 192.168.1.111 to 192.168.1.250 and worked great
So you have both routers on the same subnet and two DHCP servers on the same subnet... repeating what bill says about which DHCP respond first... you may caused a tcp/ip conflict, but hey if it works for you, do it until something weird happens right.

p.s.: u say it works, but u verified the correct machines alway get the correct gateway? 'cuz that's one of your original requirement.

Are you getting this from the same internet company? ask them to bond it.

if the limitation is each phone line or what ever coming in and you have two of them you can bond it and feed into one router.
You could feed it into a VLAN on a switch with a bond and then another port on the same lan to your router.
some routers might be able to accept a bond too.
isp must do the same on their side.