2 LAN cards, 1 with Internet & 1 for LAN only

bharken

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
Hello,

I've been lurking a lot to this forum but this is my first time to post. I can't find a solution to my problem.

I have 2 LAN cards and both works but I want 1 to have internet connection and the other one just for homegroup sharing (for work).

Here's my setup:

2 Routers, 2 LAN cards

LAN card 1 (Built-in)
- Cable Modem > Router 1 > LAN 1
* Router 1 - this is for my PC's internet access and my other devices.

LAN card 2 (PCI-e card)
- Router 2 > LAN 2
* Router 2 - there are 2 other PCs connected. This network is for work only and file sharing, no internet access allowed.

When both LAN are enabled, internet connection doesn't work because Windows 7 detects it as Multiple Connection. But when I disable Router 2, internet works. How can I fix that?

I don't want to share my internet to Router 2 because it's mainly used for work, don't want my employees have internet access that's why I used my spare router for file sharing purposes only.

Pls help. Thanks in advance!

Solution
On the main question.

What you need to do is make sure the ip blocks on the 2 networks are different. Ie you use 192.168.0.x/24 on the first one and 192.168.1.x/24 on the second.
Next you will likely have to use static ip address rather than dhcp on the second network. The key to making this work is for only the primary network have the default gateway. You would configure the ip address and subnet mask on the second network card but leave the gateway and DNS blank. If you must use DHCP then you can use the ROUTE DELETE command and remove the 0.0.0.0 route from the second nic card.

bharken

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion but I want to use my current setup for now if there's any chance that it will work.

dingo07

Distinguished
are the routers connected via ethernet cable? if they are, a smart worker just needs to add a second ip to the card on their computer to have access to the internet router
u don't need multiple cards to access multiple networks

what you're doing is creating more hassle for you - just go buy a managed cisco switch to connect to one router for internet, then segment the switch for work and home

You are WAY off on this one do a little more research rather than just post one line comments. A dual band wireless nic on a PC can only use a single connection. It only has a single radio chip it must pick to use 2.4g or 5g it can not run both at the same time.

On the main question.

What you need to do is make sure the ip blocks on the 2 networks are different. Ie you use 192.168.0.x/24 on the first one and 192.168.1.x/24 on the second.
Next you will likely have to use static ip address rather than dhcp on the second network. The key to making this work is for only the primary network have the default gateway. You would configure the ip address and subnet mask on the second network card but leave the gateway and DNS blank. If you must use DHCP then you can use the ROUTE DELETE command and remove the 0.0.0.0 route from the second nic card.

Solution

bharken

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

This is exactly what I did! Figured it out before you posted it though.

NETWORK 1 SETUP (with internet connection)
Router 1 - default settings, DHCP ON
LAN 1 - Static IP 192.168.0.150 (I think you can use auto obtain IP), Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1, w/ DNS

NETWORK 2 SETUP
Router 2 - DHCP OFF
LAN 2 - Static IP 192.168.1.100 ; Default Gateway - Blank ; DNS - Blank
--- * It will show as Unidentified Network on your adapter settings window.

I have internet on network 1 while I can file share on network 2 (no internet access) for work. 2 different networks, 1 pc.