2 M2 SSDs or 1 M2 and 1 SATA? Or ?

greg611

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jK66zM
This is a new build- almost done choosing components but still going over it... and over it and over it. Computer will be for photo editing, gaming and day to day.
This question is about M2 v SATA or PCIe- I'm unsure of what the best configuration would be. I chose an M2 SSD for the OS, easy choice, only downside is I lose one of the SATA ports which is ok since I plan on having 2 SSDs and 2 Caviar Blacks.
For the second SSD I was planning SATA but it occurred to me why not use the second M2 slot on the mobo? I would lose two more SATA ports but that still leaves enough [3] available.
So the question is-- is it better to use the two M2 slots for the SSDs rather than one M2 and everything else SATA? Or is there another configuration that would be even better? Thanks!

greg611

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I've been watching build videos with similar setups to mine and haven't found any where both M2 slots are being used. I realize that I'll lose 3 of the SATA ports but is there any other reason not go this way?
I chose an expensive fast main drive- Samsung 960 Pro and a less expensive but still NVMe 960 EVO for games and image files. Since nobody else seems to be going this route I'm worried there's an issue I haven't heard of yet.