2 mile WI fi in the mountains?

jkcosby

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
Is it possible to set up a bridge to use my in-laws cable internet at my house about 1.5 miles over the mountain and through the trees?

DriedUrchin

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Umm, not unless you want to spend a lot of money. There are things called point to point wifi which sends a bean of wifi but they need line of sight. If you want a cable you will experience high latency. I don' think its very feasible but i could be wrong, depends on what you are doing and if they make a cable that can maintain signalintegrity at that distance.

jkcosby

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015

jkcosby

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
Appreciate your reply. My father-in-law was living there until recently and had high speed cable internet. After a fall and stroke had to move him here which is across the other side of his mountain and down to the bottom of other side. Only service available for me is satellite, not even close to comparable to what he had, not even DSL is available here. Cable Co. won't help, even though I offered to pay for materials to get service here. They refused with very cold reply. I'm just trying to find out if there is a way to get his signal that he is paying for from there to here for him. Thanks for any help from any source.

Wifi is line of sight. Let put it this way, if you were to climb on a ladder on both sides and look at each other say with binoculars how high would that ladder have to be. It can obviously be done but if you have to put up a 100ft tower on each end it comes down do you really want to spend the money to accomplish it. Now if you own all the land between the 2 points there are options...still expensive to run fiber optic cable.

yayo3p

Honorable
Mar 24, 2015
Your probably going to spend a couple hundred bucks. You will need 2 ubiquity Nano Station antennas. I dont know which models will be the most effective as far as the distance range from each other. Basically there will be a network bridge from your in-law's house to yours. You will need a Wireless router at your house for the WiFi capability as well. The antenna at your in-laws will be connected to the switch or router as well as the 2nd antenna that will be connected to your house.

Check this link out. Has the maximum distance for most of the Ubiquity's that have the bridging capability.

http://dl.ubnt.com/UBNT-gain_matrix_2.pdf