Question 2 Monitors + PS5 - Switch/Splitter

somebodynobody

Commendable
Sep 30, 2020
Hi all!

I just got a brand new 1440p | 165hz monitor and i would like to use HDMI switch/splitter to switch between the PS5 and my PC.

I know that HDMI can only do max 144hz, so that is not a problem. I will have everything set to 144hz instead of 165hz on my PC anyway....

I need some recommendations on what type of Switch to get to achieve exactly this:

HDMI 1 from PC into > Switch > from Switch to Main monitor (144hz)
HDMI from PS5 into > Switch > from Switch to Main monitor (144hz)
HDMI 2 from PC into > 2nd Monitor directly (60hz - works well already)

When i turn on PS5, i want to get Windows (PC) to show up on my second monitor and vice versa....

If anyone know what kind of switch/splitter would fit this let me know. I also have two HDMI 2.1 cables. Do i need to buy 2.0?

Thank you.

You'll need to find a switch that supports HDMI CEC, if you wanted it so when you turn on the PS5, the monitor automatically displays that without you needing to do anything. My 5 minutes of Google searching turned up something like https://www.thenaudio.com/product/guide3-hdmi-switch/ , which isn't cheap (it's $188 USD). There was products on Amazon that "supports" CEC, but in the sense it passes that data through, it doesn't actually automatically switch based on CEC commands. Another solution would be an HDMI receiver, but that'd be overkill at this point. And also expensive.

The only other hiccup I see is whether or not the monitor appears disconnected from the PC when it's switched over.

somebodynobody

Commendable
Sep 30, 2020
HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth to carry 1440p 144Hz, so yes, that should work. Note that it requires manual switching.
Thank you. I guess that will be worth it then... Just what i was looking for.

HDM 1 from PC to > Switch > Switch to Main monitor
HDMI from PS5 to > Switch > Switch to Main monitor
HDMI 2 from PC to > 2nd monitor directly

^^ Manual switching when i turn on PS5 - Windows (PC) should be on my 2nd monitor while the main monitor is switched to PS5.

I will report back when i receive the product. Should be there by Friday Monday. Cheers.

Last edited: