Question 2 of 4 bad RAM slots?

Aug 17, 2021
Hello everyone. I have little to no experience with pc's, yet with the help of a friend, we managed to put one together.
The Mobo is fairly old, smth like a Dell Optiplex or similar.
We have installed a GTX 1050 ti, with an i5 2600k CPU.
At the time of the build, we installed 2x4 GB Ram memory, but the mobo has 4 slots. Recently i have bought 2x2 GB more, because, well...12 is more than 8, i guess.
Now comes the issue. When i install any of the 2 (or both) sticks in the remaining 2 slots, the pc visibly turns on, i can hear the fans spinning and i can see the RBG light up, yet i have no display signal, nor do my mouse and keyboard receive any power.
I ran a power usage calculator, and, in theory, the components i have, will never use the 500w of power that the PSU provides, and i know the RAM sticks are good, because they work fine if i install them in the 2 other slots.
Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

OEM systems can be finicky with RAM compatibility.

Adding RAM to your system would NOT impart a power draw increase that would cause issues. RAM uses so very little power it's comparatively negligible.

What component(s) is the RGB lighting on? Not the RAM I presume.

Aug 17, 2021
I googled for a bit and found the exact mobo, it's an optiplex 790 sff (small form factor) but even so, the manual sais that it supports up to 16gb RAM and a max of 4gb/slot. I've put the ram in correct config aswell, A1 and B1 4x2 GB, A2 and B2, 2x2GB, and it still won't boot, yet when i just populate A1 with a 4GB and A2 with the 2GB one, it boots as normal and task manager recognises the 6GB with no issue...
I'm starting to believe that B slots are broken in some way or another, or the dual channel has some issues...

Try moving that 4gb/2gb test set to the B-slots. It should still boot. If it doesn't, then you might be right about the B-slots, but we can diagnose it even more.

In my experience these systems aren't finicky at all on ram and will run almost anything. But like all 4-slot systems, it can be difficult to get 4 different ones to run together.

Aug 17, 2021
Try moving that 4gb/2gb test set to the B-slots. It should still boot. If it doesn't, then you might be right about the B-slots, but we can diagnose it even more.

In my experience these systems aren't finicky at all on ram and will run almost anything. But like all 4-slot systems, it can be difficult to get 4 different ones to run together.

That's the thing... I tried all possible combinations of aligning... I did 2+2 , 4+4, 2+4, 4+2 and just using one at a time, individually.
They all work, regardless of the combo, if i insert them only in A1 and A2. Whenever i try inserting anything in B1 or B2, or both, it just won't give out anything to the monitor, nor do any of the USB port get any power. (My keyboard is backlit, and when i try to boot the pc with B slots in place, the keyboard lights up for like a brief second, and then turns off, and all that remains on are the coolers and RGB from the case)

Hello everyone. I have little to no experience with pc's, yet with the help of a friend, we managed to put one together.
The Mobo is fairly old, smth like a Dell Optiplex or similar.
We have installed a GTX 1050 ti, with an i5 2600k CPU.
At the time of the build, we installed 2x4 GB Ram memory, but the mobo has 4 slots. Recently i have bought 2x2 GB more, because, well...12 is more than 8, i guess.
Now comes the issue. When i install any of the 2 (or both) sticks in the remaining 2 slots, the pc visibly turns on, i can hear the fans spinning and i can see the RBG light up, yet i have no display signal, nor do my mouse and keyboard receive any power.
I ran a power usage calculator, and, in theory, the components i have, will never use the 500w of power that the PSU provides, and i know the RAM sticks are good, because they work fine if i install them in the 2 other slots.
Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
The ram slots are labeled a1,a2,b1,b2 starting from the cpu and going out.
Fit the orig ram in slots a1 and b1....test

If no go remove the bios bat for 15 mins.
Press and hold the power button for 20 secs.
Install the bios bat....test

What bios level is the pc?

Aug 17, 2021
The ram slots are labeled a1,a2,b1,b2 starting from the cpu and going out.
Fit the orig ram in slots a1 and b1....test

If no go remove the bios bat for 15 mins.
Press and hold the power button for 20 secs.
Install the bios bat....test

What bios level is the pc?

Sory for the LATE reply, i was kinda busy with work these days.
So, i tried reseting the bios battery, and changing the config of the ram, but no luck. Also, i did as you said, starting from the CPU outwards, and still no signal.
No idea if this has any relevance, but the mobo has inscriptions next to the ram slots, and they go like this (from the cpu outwards) :
CPU > DIMM3 > DIMM1 > DIMM 4 > DIMM2.
And the ones that work for me are the outer 2 ones, next to eachother, in this case, DIMM 4 and DIMM2. Or, by your description, B1 and B2.

Sory for the LATE reply, i was kinda busy with work these days.
So, i tried reseting the bios battery, and changing the config of the ram, but no luck. Also, i did as you said, starting from the CPU outwards, and still no signal.
No idea if this has any relevance, but the mobo has inscriptions next to the ram slots, and they go like this (from the cpu outwards) :
CPU > DIMM3 > DIMM1 > DIMM 4 > DIMM2.
And the ones that work for me are the outer 2 ones, next to eachother, in this case, DIMM 4 and DIMM2. Or, by your description, B1 and B2.
Install the 2x4GB ram as needed so the pc will boot.
Run this and post a link to the results.
PC Benchmark

What bios level do you have?