[SOLVED] 2 or 4 RAM sticks on a DUAL Channel Mobo?

Aug 10, 2019
Hello guys! I’m new to pc building and I’m about to build my very first gaming pc. I’m getting a ryzen 5 3600 and a b450 tomahawk. My friend also upgraded his gaming pc recently and he gave me 3x8gb ddr4 3000mhz ram sticks for free. Since I’m a newbie I wanted to ask if i should use only 2 of them for the dual channel or if I should buy another stick and go for 4x8gb ram. I will not need more than 16gb of ram for sure but in case I’d see a higher performance with 4 ram sticks instead of two I’d gladly spend another 50eur. Sorry if my questions seems a bit stupid, as I said I’m new to this whole pc building thing^^

Solution
Hello guys! I’m new to pc building and I’m about to build my very first gaming pc. I’m getting a ryzen 5 3600 and a b450 tomahawk. My friend also upgraded his gaming pc recently and he gave me 3x8gb ddr4 3000mhz ram sticks for free. Since I’m a newbie I wanted to ask if i should use only 2 of them for the dual channel or if I should buy another stick and go for 4x8gb ram. I will not need more than 16gb of ram for sure but in case I’d see a higher performance with 4 ram sticks instead of two I’d gladly spend another 50eur. Sorry if my questions seems a bit stupid, as I said I’m new to this whole pc building thing^^

Just use two of the sticks. That will be by far the easiest option to get them working and should perform best...

Just use two of the sticks. That will be by far the easiest option to get them working and should perform best. Usually running all 4 sticks will reduce performance slightly (but increase capacity) however as you say, 16gb is fine for now.

You definitely don't want to run 3 as that would limit you to single channel, and it will be difficult to get a 4th ram module that exactly matches the other 3 (as even the same brand / model of memory can use different ram chips on it if manufactured at different times).

You can also get a big boost in performance on the R5 3600 by tuning the ram timings (just some settings you tweak in the bios). There is a great article about it on TechPowerup:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1891-ryzen-memory-performance-scaling/

They show that DDR4 3000 with good timings is pretty much as fast as really expensive DDR 4 3800 memory at it's stock settings.

Reactions: LeonidasOG
Solution
Aug 10, 2019
Just use two of the sticks. That will be by far the easiest option to get them working and should perform best. Usually running all 4 sticks will reduce performance slightly (but increase capacity) however as you say, 16gb is fine for now.

You definitely don't want to run 3 as that would limit you to single channel, and it will be difficult to get a 4th ram module that exactly matches the other 3 (as even the same brand / model of memory can use different ram chips on it if manufactured at different times).

You can also get a big boost in performance on the R5 3600 by tuning the ram timings (just some settings you tweak in the bios). There is a great article about it on TechPowerup:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1891-ryzen-memory-performance-scaling/

They show that DDR4 3000 with good timings is pretty much as fast as really expensive DDR 4 3800 memory at it's stock settings.
Thank you very much dude! Have a good day

Reactions: cdrkf