2 OS on 2 hardrive

Pocoyo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Got Windows 7 1st installed,then install XP on the other hardrive.
Problem is I can't boot 7 after install, then do the bootrec.exe on 7 DVD to fix.
Now I can't boot the XP even I press f8 for boot option and select any HD all it boot/load is Windows7.
Tried the easybcd and still fail.

Solution
you need to change boot device by either going in the bios or pressing one of the f keys on boot up for the boot menu

normally i install the first os then disconnect the drive plug in the next drive and install the os then plug both drives in

this means the mbr is not involved so easybcd or similar isnt needed both drives have a separate boot record its just a matter of picking which drive to boot from by the methods mentioned above
you need to change boot device by either going in the bios or pressing one of the f keys on boot up for the boot menu

normally i install the first os then disconnect the drive plug in the next drive and install the os then plug both drives in

this means the mbr is not involved so easybcd or similar isnt needed both drives have a separate boot record its just a matter of picking which drive to boot from by the methods mentioned above

Solution

its straight forward if you do it the way i said--i have xp and windows 7 and ubuntu linux on 3 seperate hard drives-no partitions involved or boot managers

just connect each hard drive individually install the os without the other hard drives connected--then use the motherboard boot menu to select which hard drive to boot from--this way doesnt show the 3 operating systems at boot--i just press f12 and pick which hard drive i want to boot from

also this way if my xp drive got corrupted or mechanically failed it wouldnt affect my 7 or ubuntu drive they would be still bootable