2 PCs / 2 Coax Outlets/ 2 Modems/ 2 Printers want 2 independent Comcast Ethernet System

nstaehling

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Old setup
Main PC (wireless enabled)
Coax downstairs wall outlet to cable modem
Ethernet router to Dell PC (hardwired)
USB PC to Epson printer/fax

Backup PC (no wireless)
Coax upstairs wall outlet to latest Comcast rental router
Phone base with 5 satellite units wired to router through the printer for FAX.
USB PC to Epson printer (same model as the other one)
Laptop and visiting extended family members are connected Wi-Fi as our EMC security system and its smart phone app.

What happened:
Main PC quit due to bad internal HD. Nearly decade old backup PC was having non-fatal internal HD problems but it was still working when we scrapped it. We bought a new Dell PC. We used True Image to restore our files and apps from an inoperative PC backup. Everything still worked fine with the wired PC and the new one.

And Then:
I bought a new identical HD and swapped it out for the defective one. We True Image restored it to its last backup before it quit. I have restored two PCs from the same Backup before without incident. (Problem now?) Our cable modem is no longer supported by Comcast because it is maxed out on speed. My wife does like the fact that if the rented router fails we are without our phone until we swap it out at our Xfinity store, rewire it, and face any activation issues that occur. We are both older than 75 and cannot always go out. So I bought an Xfinity supported cable modem with phone connection. The one without the phone jack is still a good backup if we need to hook it back up.

What we wanted
Two independent Ethernet wired systems with the phone base unit hooked up to new modem. We keep the rented router for its Wi-Fi but would prefer to connect it to the PC via Ethernet.

What works so far
Router with only the Coax attached for main PC. The way it works now I think it could be hooked up to any COAX outlet in the house not just the one closest to the PC. Both printers are USB hard wired. Internet by Wi-Fi on all of our devices. Ethernet connections can be set up but they always get dropped somehow. The Network list still sees the Ethernet connection but it says no internet. When we only had one wireless enabled PC our Network name was the same for Wi-Fi and Ethernet and you had to click on the network listing to actually see which one you are using.

CAN WE GET EVERYTHING ETHERNET WIRED MODEM TO PC OR MUST WE STICK WITH WI-FI?
A Comcast chat agent told me they only support one modem but he also told me I couldn't buy Xfinity equipment. Yet Comcast referred me to Amazon to buy the new one which is badged Xfinity.

nstaehling

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

Two separate COAX cables outlets both wired to Comcast with only one monthly charge. Each has its own name for available Wi-Fi networks. Ethernet connections only show up on the available Network lists for the PC you are looking al the networks from.

You can not use 2 cable modems and not expect 2 charges...that is just the way comcast works.

I suspect you problem is the phone service. This is a special form of voice over ip/cable. The cable company to provide good service needs complete control so you do not mess it up so they require you to use there modems. There are parameters you can not see or set in these device for the phone.

If you could go with a VoIP solution like vontage or magic jack or something similar you would not have as many restrictions placed on your cable modem. It likely would be cheaper also. Google used to offer a free service but I am not sure if that is still available.

If you must keep the cable company phone you have little option. You must use their device on the cable line. You can then use any other router as AP to get better wifi but the wifi out of many of the newer cable modem/routers is not all that bad.

nstaehling

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Comcast openly pointed me to equipment they support. Our backup PC had no built-in wireless and our attempts to add wireless externally failed miserably. An inexpensive cable modem was a godsend but we had to buy a second one when Comcast abandoned the first one. They gave me no guidance why a cable modem with the phone jack would be any different for a modern PC. I asked all the right questions for what I wanted to do. After I initiated the new cable modem I spent untold hours trying to get my equipment to work at all. Finally I discovered they deactivated the rental router (I told them not to) but it still was giving me Wi-Fi so I had no reason to question it. Knowing that I was easily able to register the rental router online unassisted and then the new cable modem as well. I guess like Comcast's rules are what I am up against.

We considered getting an unlisted second line for faxing and multiple concurrent voice users but figured cellphones can solve the multi user issue. With AT&T ring master we never answered the phone when we were expecting an incoming FAX.

I am afraid to try, but do you think a unique phone number for each modem would clear up our multiple modem Comcast issues?

TRENDING THREADS