[SOLVED] 2 pieces of ram, one works, one doesnt. Both work in a seperate computer

Jan 8, 2023
I bought some 2 new Corsiar Vengeance LPX 16gb ram. One of them blue screens and fails memtest, but the other doesn't. (this was in the same slots.)
I also tried the "broken" ram in another computer and it works.
I think this might be a compatibility issue?

Specs:
Asus ROG Strix B450-f Gaming ii
Ryzen 7 5700x
Msi Radeon Rx 6600 Mech
Gigabyte 850w power supply
Ram is specifically 'CMK16GX4M1D3000C16'

If someone could please help I would appriciate that very much, Thanks.

Solution
I would do that but I bought them both off amazon, and there are no big tech stores where I live. I am only really running discord and GTA and chrome simultaneously at the most, so not that much. Thanks for the help
16gb should handle Discord, GTA and Chrome. I have played GTA with 8gb. Tweek the settings if you feel any lag or stutter.
As for the stick, as mentioned above, it's trial and error until you hit jackpot.
Jan 8, 2023
You have answered your own question.
To be more precise, sticks bought outside a kit are not guaranteed to work together. Its always hit or miss. In this case, it's a miss. Just RMA it.
Thanks so much for replying, I just don't know why one of them works but the other doesn't.
Also should I buy another one, is there a chance of another one working?

Thanks so much for replying, I just don't know why one of them works but the other doesn't.
Also should I buy another one, is there a chance of another one working?
Mixing sticks outside a kit is always hit and miss, even if it's exact same make/model/variant. They are never guaranteed to work together, and you will never know until you try. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Reactions: Padddyy
Jan 8, 2023
Mixing sticks outside a kit is always hit and miss, even if it's exact same make/model/variant. They are never guaranteed to work together, and you will never know until you try. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Thanks, so with just the single 16gb ram stick is it ok to game on single channel or should I try get another?

Jan 8, 2023
If you are just gaming and not doing much simultaneously, then it's ok. Or else, what you can do is, take it to a store and get a working pair after testing with other sticks.
I would do that but I bought them both off amazon, and there are no big tech stores where I live. I am only really running discord and GTA and chrome simultaneously at the most, so not that much. Thanks for the help

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I had a similar problem the Corsiar Vengeance, Please remove the memory sticks and rub the contacts clean. There will be quite a bit of eraser debris left which must be removed. I have an air compressor and blew it off but brushing with an anti static brush should work to. Don't forget to touch the case with one hand to discharge the static before removing and inserting the memory. Also contact cleaners don't always work due to the hard oxide on Corsair's contacts. Not sure what they plated the contacts with but it's not 24k gold. I had to treat all four of my modules because none of them worked. I used a hand eraser but see no reason not to use the eraser on the back of a pencil but it will probably wear out fast. I rubbed mine about 20 times and it worked. I bet you have the same problem. How long have they been in use? Mine started acting up within 4 years and when it wouldn't boot, I thought I had a bad mobo because none of them worked. Nope, installed a new mobo and got the same problem. I only wish I had tried to clean them first. At least I have a spare mobo now.

Jan 8, 2023
I had a similar problem the Corsiar Vengeance, Please remove the memory sticks and rub the contacts clean. There will be quite a bit of eraser debris left which must be removed. I have an air compressor and blew it off but brushing with an anti static brush should work to. Don't forget to touch the case with one hand to discharge the static before removing and inserting the memory. Also contact cleaners don't always work due to the hard oxide on Corsair's contacts. Not sure what they plated the contacts with but it's not 24k gold. I had to treat all four of my modules because none of them worked. I used a hand eraser but see no reason not to use the eraser on the back of a pencil but it will probably wear out fast. I rubbed mine about 20 times and it worked. I bet you have the same problem. How long have they been in use? Mine started acting up within 4 years and when it wouldn't boot, I thought I had a bad mobo because none of them worked. Nope, installed a new mobo and got the same problem. I only wish I had tried to clean them first. At least I have a spare mobo now.
Thanks for the help, but everything in the build is new and no dust or dirt is on anything yet

16gb should handle Discord, GTA and Chrome. I have played GTA with 8gb. Tweek the settings if you feel any lag or stutter.
As for the stick, as mentioned above, it's trial and error until you hit jackpot.

Solution

zx128k

Reputable
Could not find the memory kit in the motherboard QVL (only one for 3rd gen and below) but normally if one DIMM works, then both will work (not always). I would RMA if it was me, both sticks should work together in one kit. The problem could be the motherobard detecting timings.

Jan 8, 2023
Yeh I am going to rma and also rma the board becuase I am getting the b550-f, as the b450-f is already 5 years old. Thinking of getting the memory under the code of F4-3200C16D-32GTZN. Does anyone know if thats any good, thanks

TRENDING THREADS