2 power suplies on one pc

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018
i bought cheap psu spire with 420w, but i figured out it only has 15amps on the 12v rail. for me it is cheaper to get one more non-good psu but with 2 12v at 18amps. Xilence XP550 550w
so if this xilence psu is not good enough, one of them will be for gpu, and the other one for the rest of the system. posible or not? good or not?

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

sorry but i dont get you. i dont have so much knowledge in this area :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1dcJ0QyAE
That shows you how to "power up" a PSU because PSUs only switch on when the ON button is pressed on your motherboard, so you need to short the pins out to make the PSU switch on
You can then connect the other leads to your GPU.

But since you are not really experienced with this, I would recommend buying a new PSU so you don't have all this cable and mess everywhere.

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

aham, i get you. this xilence psu is not bad, but it has two 12v rails with 18amps. will it power pc that requires 28amps?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Xilence has *some* good PSUs, made by Enhance and some Platinum Andysons. If this is one of their really old low-end 550s -- and that appears likely given that you seem to be getting this rather than the usual Corsair CX gray/Seasonic M12/S12 budget choices, it's a pretty bad PSU.

Just bite the bullet and get *one* good budget PSU. The annoyance of running two power supplies is hard to justify when you probably should be using neither of them. The worst of the 550W Xilence PSUs were made by Huizhou, which use the same platform for some atrocious Inter-Tech PSUs. Lots of Yang-Chun capacitors in those, a brand that you see frequently in the notorious Deer PSUs.

USAFRet

Titan

Question:
Will it still be "cheaper" when one of these two substandard PSU's blows up and kills some other part?

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

https://www.google.com/search?q=Xilence+XP550+550w&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf2qqK7tfbAhVDJ1AKHe4FCA0Q_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=910#imgrc=5GY9vyWi0fIsiM

i still haven't bought the psu but it is this one on the link or more powerfull than that, there is 80+ bronze verzion but i dont know if the psu i should buy is the weaker or the more powerfull version.

pc specs:
cpu: core2quad q9400
gpu: still haven't bought one, but if the psu is good enough gtx 560
mobo: g31m3 v2
ram: 2x2gb 800mhz ddr2
hdd: x2 7200rpm 250gb 2.5 inch hdd

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

why would it blow up when they will be on low usage, the card max wattage is 150w and the resto of the system is about the same.

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

they are something like 50$, my whole pc is worth that much.....

USAFRet

Titan

Bad power supplies have been known to blow at a power draw far below whatever fake number is printed on the side of the box.

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

ok than.

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

mate im 14 y.o, saving 50$ will mean waiting for too long and spending all my money. then i will have to save something like 30$ for the gpu and 10$ for the case. almost 100$. buying that second psu will cost me less then 10$ and than gpu from 30$ and the case from 10$. 50$ vs 100$ means something like 5 months waiting. and still even if i wait that much psu from 50$ on gpu from 30$, how is that logical, no offense i dont want to offend anyone....

USAFRet

Titan

Replacing parts that die from using 2 substandard [strike]GPU's[/strike] PSU's will cost much more.

Your age and your budget is irrelevant to us out here. We're just trying to recommend things that won't actually be worse than what you have, and are potentially dangerous to the point of a fire hazard.
Yes, sometimes non-crappy parts are not "cheap". But you get what you pay for.

If you lived in my house, you would not be allowed to plug that thing into the wall.

But...it's your money, your hardware.
Good luck to you.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Yeah, what it comes down to, OP, is that whether you're 14, 40, or 114, whether you have $1 or $100,000,000, the basic PSU situation is the same. Nobody's saying you need to get a 1500W Titanium-rated PSU, but even something mediocre and basic, like an EVGA BT 450W, will at least power your stuff and not fry anything or stat fires, and that's a pretty good thing to invest $30 on.

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

if the budget is irelevant, find me psu from 200$ and just make me buy it becouse its the best. 50$ psu on 50$ system is seriously crazy man... no offence

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

here on tomshardware any psu that is not evga starts fire, in my country no one is using evga, cs series or something simlar, but no one lost their house or pc. btw that psu is 70$ here :/

USAFRet

Titan

That is absolutely incorrect. Quite the opposite, actually.

So what is available in your market? Under $50...
Please list them all.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nenadilievski72 : "two 12v 18amps, will it be enough for system that requies 25amps to run?"

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nenadilievski72 : "is this psu enough?"

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nenadilievski72 : "wo 12v rails at 18amps, powering system that reqies 28amps"

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I merged your threads. STOP making new threads.

Use the Xilence. Its a piece of garbage, but better than trying to use TWO pieces of garbage.

Other than buying a new not garbage PSU, this is the only answer to this question, so again stop flooding the forum with it.

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018

Thermaltake Litepower LP-450AH2NF is this psu ok?