Question 2 questions: compatibility? / DDR4 or 5?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hello All

I'm soon building a new computer. I have two questions:
1. Are the below listed components compatible ? I'm a bit unsecured due to all what has changed over the last 6 to 8 years.
2. With those, do I have to put DDR5 or can I stay with DDR4?

Thanks in advance.
Lu :)

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i7-14700KF
Graphic Card: MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti VENTUS 2X

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Sorry, one more question: I read contradictory information about compatibility of below corsair ddr5 ram with AMD:
Corsair Vengeance, 2 x 16GB, 6000 MHz, RAM DDR5, DIMM

Some say yes, some say no: what is the reality? Yes or no?

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
it's of course not essential, but there is no white version of those unfortunately. I will probably go first with the corsair vengeance, relying on the fact that the motherboard has XMP.

If it shouldn't work, I can still change to G.Skill Flare X5 and keep the corsair for another compy that I have to do toward end of year (until then, intel issue will hopefully be fixed).

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Dear All

I thank you very much for your support. I have frozen my config. Unfortunately, one more side factor (else than the white color), impacted my selection: the availability of the different parts.

Now I will carefully review my basket and order. I can hardly wait to start building up. :love:

logainofhades

Titan

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Last edited:

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Was maybe not such a good idea to decide for a white computer, because it reduces a lot the available choice of parts. But well, I like the change after decades in black. :sneaky:

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Sorry for double posting, but I prefer to follow up on same thread for my new question.

At first I had decided to keep my current SSD, but I changed my mind and would prefer to install a new one on which I will have windows 11 and main data (I will keep the old one as a back up). Could you please recommend me one?

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I'm lucky enough to be able to afford some money for it. I would like a M.2.

I heard from different sources that either Crucial P3 or Samsung 980 would fit perfectly. I have not yet checked their prices.

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I have started mounting my computer and have an unpleasant surprise: my water cooling is provided with 2 x brackets with each 2 straight arms for 4 holes total.
Good: The holes match with the holes of the grey plastic supports screwed on my Gygabyte motherboard up and down the CPU.
Bad: Is it safe to install it that way instead of using the special 2 holes retention system that is shown in the different user guides I see on internet (for reference, see drawing below video on that page: Installation Guide )?

An additional question is: if I can stick with the 4 holes solution, nice, but do I have to remove the grey plastic supports and put in the 4 holes double sides screws, or can I just mount my cooler with normal screw directly on the plastic bars?

Last edited:

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
I have AMD. Not intel. Sorry if my questions were not clear. I try to re-explain better.

The issue is, that the installation guide for AMD instructs about brackets with just one fix point per bracket (Installation Guide), just like you say. But in the package, I got different brackets than those. See at link below: The brackets I got are those right side on the first schema when you scroll down:
AMD Brackets

And my two questions are:
1) Is it safe to go with 4 holes installation instead of the other system.
2) If yes, is it safe to put the brackets directly on the two grey plastic support installed on the motherboard, or do I better remove those supports to install the brackets with "standard" double sides screws.

See my reply below.

Last edited:

TiluChris

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Dears, sorry for double posting again, but I finally found out the installation guide matching with the mounting brackets I have (number 3 in the description at link below). I put the link hereafter in case it will help others. With it, my last two questions are answered.

Installation Guide for AM4/5

Thanks All once more for your huge help.
:space: