[SOLVED] 2 RAM kits, same model, same timings, won't overclock to 3200mhz when paired ?

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
View: https://imgur.com/a/thXGlp6

^ Link to show you the 2 different kits of ram

Greeting,

I just bought a prebuilt PC, it came with 16gb of Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3200mhz ram with timing of CL-16-18-18-38.

I then purchased another kit of 16gb of the same ram rated 3200mhz and it also has the same timing, as shown in the picture above.

When I put the extra ram in my PC, it reads it and I have 32gbs of ram recognized, but my ram is then running at 2400mhz speed.

When I go into my BIOS which I also updated, I turn on XMP profile and it shows it will run the ram at 3200mhz but then my PC does not boot.

Is there anything I can try before I send this ram back and just buy a 32gb one kit of ram?

Thanks!

My parts:
MSI Z590 Pro Wifi Motherboard which I flashed to its latest BIOS
EVGA RTX 3080
Intel i9-11900k

Solution
XMP is tuned for just 2 sticks, u will need manual timings for 4 sticks, main timings should be same, just different subtimings
u can try leaving subtimings on auto, maybe mainboard will train it (maybe)
if u never touched ram timings, u can go with XMP settings and dial down ram clock
XMP is tuned for just 2 sticks, u will need manual timings for 4 sticks, main timings should be same, just different subtimings
if u never touched ram timings, u can go with XMP settings and dial down ram clock

Solution

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
RAM kits are packaged together: For your motherboard you require a 2 x 16GB kit for dual channel use.

And pay attention to how you install the RAM.

Per the motherboard's user manual the first stick should be installed in DIMMA2

Reference:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7D09v1.2.pdf

Specifically physically numbered Pages 13 and 14.
Thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense now, thanks again

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
View: https://imgur.com/a/thXGlp6

^ Link to show you the 2 different kits of ram

Greeting,

I just bought a prebuilt PC, it came with 16gb of Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3200mhz ram with timing of CL-16-18-18-38.

I then purchased another kit of 16gb of the same ram rated 3200mhz and it also has the same timing, as shown in the picture above.

When I put the extra ram in my PC, it reads it and I have 32gbs of ram recognized, but my ram is then running at 2400mhz speed.

When I go into my BIOS which I also updated, I turn on XMP profile and it shows it will run the ram at 3200mhz but then my PC does not boot.

Is there anything I can try before I send this ram back and just buy a 32gb one kit of ram?

Thanks!

My parts:
MSI Z590 Pro Wifi Motherboard which I flashed to its latest BIOS
EVGA RTX 3080
Intel i9-11900k
Just because it has the same model number has nothing to do with actually being made with the same parts. Memory is sold in matched/tested kits for a reason.

When you add more memory even the so called exact same your rolling the dice if it will work or not with each generation it has got worse.
DDR2 just pretty much slap it in their no problems, DDR3 about the same but need to make sure your not mixing high and low density memory, DDR4 is very picky or you could get lucky.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Select the ram settings explicitly in the bios.
You may have to increase the ram voltage a bit to get it all to work at your desired settings.

XMP will regularly work with a 4-stick kit without any further timings adjustments. Sometimes without even raising the voltage.

For your motherboard you require a 2 x 16GB kit for dual channel use.
Where do you see this? He can run 4x8GB sticks in dual channel mode.

One of the problems he may encounter is that, even though the sticks are the exact same model, they could use different ram chips and other SMDs under the hood, causing compatibility issues. This is why it's always recommended to buy the whole kit as one. Even two kits of the exact same model is no guarantee.

Ralston18

Titan
No issue:

2 x 16 GB or 4 x 8 16 GB.

I just went with 2 x 16GB with the premise of continuing to use just two sticks.

And thus a two RAM module kit.

As long as the end RAM configuration is supported by the motherboard -either way is okay.

Did not intend a that to be a hard "require". Note to self taken.... :)

XMP will regularly work with a 4-stick kit without any further timings adjustments. Sometimes without even raising the voltage.
most should work, if u check mainboard QVL it usualy says some 2sticks supported in 4 stick config
fo example mine would work aswell as they have tRFC at 560 (which is way too loose for just 2 sticks, 300 is ok for 2)
but he got sticks which doesnt work together

TRENDING THREADS