[SOLVED] 2 Wireless Adapters - How to Tell Windows Which One to Use?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have an interesting situation. I need 2 wireless adapters since the built in laptop one doesn't work with one of my networks. How do I tell Windows which adapter to use for a certain wireless connection? If I go to the wireless icon in the notification center near the clock it doesn't let me choose. Also I'd prefer something easier than having to disable one when necessary. Thanks!

Solution
From what I understand, his computer's internal wireless card isn't faulty. It simple doesn't connect to certain network, probably due to type of encryption or wireless frequency.
Yep. The SSID might not be broadcast. The2.4Ghz channel might be set to 13. The 5Ghz could be set to DFS. Lots of basic settings on the ROUTER to investigate first.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi I have an interesting situation. I need 2 wireless adapters since the built in laptop one doesn't work with one of my networks. How do I tell Windows which adapter to use for a certain wireless connection? If I go to the wireless icon in the notification center near the clock it doesn't let me choose. Also I'd prefer something easier than having to disable one when necessary. Thanks!
If the laptop works with some WIFI, why don't you fix the root problem with the WIFI that doesn't work?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@lvt The laptop isn't that old, it's an XPS 13 I think, it has an Intel AC network adapter. We already purchased the usb wifi adapter which is the basis for the original question. The adapter however is a tiny little Netgear a6150 so it probably won't handle as well as the internal one which is why I'm looking for a way to choose which adapter to use without having to go through the disabling rigaamarole.

You may want to try Tasker for Windows, a software that allows users to plan and execute tasks automatically. I don't know if you can create a custom Wi-fi profile using Tasker, but that's what comes through my mind for the moment.

Why don't you replace the internal card if you think it is defective. From a quick look there are many videos showing how to upgrade the wifi card. Looks like you just unscrew the back cover of the laptop and put in a different card.

From what I understand, his computer's internal wireless card isn't faulty. It simple doesn't connect to certain network, probably due to type of encryption or wireless frequency.

kanewolf

Titan
Yep. The SSID might not be broadcast. The2.4Ghz channel might be set to 13. The 5Ghz could be set to DFS. Lots of basic settings on the ROUTER to investigate first.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
@kanewolf Any articles on such you can point me to? Thanks. I'm an IT guy so nothing technical will confound me.
These are all settings in the router creating the WIFI signal. Check the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channel numbers. For 2.4Ghz 1, 6, 11. For 5Ghz channel less than 50.
Don't use "Auto" for channel selection.
Also in the wireless settings on the router, verify that "Broadcast SSID" is enabled.