2 x 4 GB sticks and 1 x 8 GB stick, same brand, same frequency, will it run?

ImCODEX

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
As I said, I am planning on buying an HyperX Savage 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL11, I currently have an HyperX Savage 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL11 Dual Channel Kit and an ASUS Z97-A motherboard, I didn't find any information about flex mode for this board. So the question is: Will it run? I am planning on buying another HyperX Savage 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL11 later so I will have 24 gigs in total. But before that I need to know if it works, and if doesn't maybe I could take out 1 x 4 gb stick and put the 8 one so it runs dual channel with the other 4 one?

Solution
It will run, but in single-channel mode. You need matching RAM in matching slots to get dual-channel mode.

Modern RAM can be pretty finicky about running in random pairs, like "I bought a model XYZ 8 GB RAM last month and another this month, and my machine won't start with both installed." That's why RAM is sold in matched pairs these days. Sometimes a random pair will work; sometimes you have to increase voltage and latency to get a stable system. So I strongly suggest that you buy a matched pair of 8 GB sticks.

You can run 28 GB as a matched pair of 8's and a matched pair of 4's. Just make sure that the 8's align with each other and the 4's align with each other.
It will run, but in single-channel mode. You need matching RAM in matching slots to get dual-channel mode.

Modern RAM can be pretty finicky about running in random pairs, like "I bought a model XYZ 8 GB RAM last month and another this month, and my machine won't start with both installed." That's why RAM is sold in matched pairs these days. Sometimes a random pair will work; sometimes you have to increase voltage and latency to get a stable system. So I strongly suggest that you buy a matched pair of 8 GB sticks.

You can run 28 GB as a matched pair of 8's and a matched pair of 4's. Just make sure that the 8's align with each other and the 4's align with each other.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If they play (no guarantees mixing packages) , go with the 8GB stick in slot 1 next to CPU and the 4GB sticks in slots 3-4 from CPU, this will put 8GB in each channel and all will run in dual channel mode (it will be under the Intel Flex technology. If problems getting them to play give me a shout and we'll try adjustments