Question 2+ year old computer suddenly stopped being able to consistently POST as of a few months ago.

Sep 12, 2019
Backstory:

This computer, that I built, worked perfectly for 2+ years and this issue began about 6 months ago.

Basically my computer doesn't (always) POST. I hit power, the fans and peripherals all power on, but the computer never actually POSTs and it just stays in this state. MOBO code reads 00.

To get it to POST, I have to shuffle my RAM around, and kill all the juice in the PSU between each attempt. There's no one specific combination that works consistently and both sticks are tested and are completely fine. It seems to work more often when I boot with just one stick instead of two, but even that takes many attempts.

I'm basically at my wits end with spending 45+ mins (and some days it doesn't even work) trying to get my computer to turn on.

I leave the PC on when it finally does boot, and it works perfectly while on, but all it takes is a windows update restart and I'm screwed.

Now if anyone thinks they may know a solution, I'll love you. But at this point I'm just assuming the motherboard is at fault and it's the DIMM slots or something near there (visually there is no damage).

I can replicate the issue by trying to power on the PC with no RAM in. It produces the same result. That's how I'm sure it's something to do with the MOBO.

So I'm looking to just replace the motherboard. The issue is that obviously it's a bit older. I'm looking for someone to help me pick out a new motherboard that will make for the easiest switch and be compatible with my current parts, I'm just too broke to buy those new as well, especially when my current CPU and RAM work amazingly.

I also require a motherboard capable of OC for my CPU. I never OC'd my RAM.

CPU:
(Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor) [https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gx648d/intel-cpu-bx80662i56600k]

RAM:
(G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory) [https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jCL7YJ/gskill-memory-f42133c15d16gvr]

Motherboard:
(MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard) [https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F9Gj4D/msi-motherboard-z170agamingm5]

Apologies for formatting if it's messy, I'm on my phone at work.

Please let me know if you need any more info or parts.

So I would love if someone had a solution, but otherwise I'm looking for a motherboard. Should I just be looking around eBay or something for a direct replacement one? Is there a better option?

I need one with most of the same features, and display port.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Hey,

I guess it could be a couple of things.

The 00 code seems to relate to either the bios, or CPU. Having looked at a few posts online, the bios issue could mean it's corrupt. In which case replacing the mobo is the only way to fix it.

However, it can also be the CPU or faulty socket. Both point to the mobo.

It could be related to the PSU. You haven't listed yours, so please do, along with your GPU.

You could try a couple of things in the meantime to trouble shoot. If it's the PSU not supplying the correct power, it's possible to rule it our by using the iGPU on the mobo, and disabling your add in card if you have one. Run the system and see if you still experience the issues. If it's still the same, we can pretty much rule out the PSU.

Because it may be BIOS related, it might be worth trying to update your bios to the latest version if you haven't already, and see what effect it has.

Reactions: Classicoe
Sep 12, 2019
Hey,

I guess it could be a couple of things.

The 00 code seems to relate to either the bios, or CPU. Having looked at a few posts online, the bios issue could mean it's corrupt. In which case replacing the mobo is the only way to fix it.

However, it can also be the CPU or faulty socket. Both point to the mobo.

It could be related to the PSU. You haven't listed yours, so please do, along with your GPU.

You could try a couple of things in the meantime to trouble shoot. If it's the PSU not supplying the correct power, it's possible to rule it our by using the iGPU on the mobo, and disabling your add in card if you have one. Run the system and see if you still experience the issues. If it's still the same, we can pretty much rule out the PSU.

Because it may be BIOS related, it might be worth trying to update your bios to the latest version if you haven't already, and see what effect it has.

Thanks for responding.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I was actually convinced it was a PSU issue for months. I thought maybe the power good wire was not working properly. I thought this because a lot of the time to get the PC to POST, I need to unplug the PSU, hold the power button for a minute, and then often the best success I have is literally leaving the PC off for at least 6+ hours.

Unfortunately it seems to be working less and less often.

Is there any motherboard I can buy from a manufacturer or big store like Amazon or Newegg? My biggest issue is that I'll have to get one from eBay or something, so if that doesn't work then I won't be able to return it and I'm out of $120+ for nothing.

Very frustrating all the way around. WoW classic making it much more so than usual.

I did update my BIOS a few months back, in my first round of trying to solve this.

The most annoying part is that it DOES work sometimes. It's torturous trying over and over and not knowing whether or not I'll be able to use my PC that night.

I've tried it without the GPU before and it's the same issue.

One additional thing is that very rarely (two times in the past 6 months of use) the computer has completely frozen up and crashed. This is what kind of lead me to start thinking it was an issue with the RAM connection.

Last edited:
Make sure you've the latest BIOS, just to rule it out.

Hmmm, It's very possible it's the mobo failing. There are lots of Z170 mobos out there. Still possible to get new, but expensive. Ebay is an option, but you just never know. Without actually swapping out the mobo, it's kinda hard for us to say, yeah, go for it and hope for the best. The only way to really be sure is to try the components on another mobo. But who's gonna do that, right!?

The cheapest way out of this is to bring to a local repair store, and get them to swap both CPU and mobo out, and get them diagnose. It might only cost 20-50$. Then at leas tyou can go from there.

The problem for us, is that we can't just slap your case up on our desk and trick around and see what's what.

For me, it's PSU or mobo issue. Local store might be easy way to get you back on track.

Reactions: Classicoe
Backstory:

This computer, that I built, worked perfectly for 2+ years and this issue began about 6 months ago.

Basically my computer doesn't (always) POST. I hit power, the fans and peripherals all power on, but the computer never actually POSTs and it just stays in this state. MOBO code reads 00.

To get it to POST, I have to shuffle my RAM around, and kill all the juice in the PSU between each attempt. There's no one specific combination that works consistently and both sticks are tested and are completely fine. It seems to work more often when I boot with just one stick instead of two, but even that takes many attempts.

I'm basically at my wits end with spending 45+ mins (and some days it doesn't even work) trying to get my computer to turn on.

I leave the PC on when it finally does boot, and it works perfectly while on, but all it takes is a windows update restart and I'm screwed.

Now if anyone thinks they may know a solution, I'll love you. But at this point I'm just assuming the motherboard is at fault and it's the DIMM slots or something near there (visually there is no damage).

I can replicate the issue by trying to power on the PC with no RAM in. It produces the same result. That's how I'm sure it's something to do with the MOBO.

So I'm looking to just replace the motherboard. The issue is that obviously it's a bit older. I'm looking for someone to help me pick out a new motherboard that will make for the easiest switch and be compatible with my current parts, I'm just too broke to buy those new as well, especially when my current CPU and RAM work amazingly.

I also require a motherboard capable of OC for my CPU. I never OC'd my RAM.

CPU:
(Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor) [https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gx648d/intel-cpu-bx80662i56600k]

RAM:
(G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory) [https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jCL7YJ/gskill-memory-f42133c15d16gvr]

Motherboard:
(MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard) [https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F9Gj4D/msi-motherboard-z170agamingm5]

Apologies for formatting if it's messy, I'm on my phone at work.

Please let me know if you need any more info or parts.

So I would love if someone had a solution, but otherwise I'm looking for a motherboard. Should I just be looking around eBay or something for a direct replacement one? Is there a better option?

I need one with most of the same features, and display port.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Have you replaced the BIOS battery ? Usually a CR2032 coin style battery available at any drug store...they go bad and it causes the BIOS to get flaky...