20% of Brits Think Steve Jobs is a Soccer Player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Drip50291[/nom]I like what was said about ppl having dif interest and such, i totally agree. But wait for a sec i feel like a noob bc i dont kno who Sir Tim Berners-Lee is. maybe bc im not british but in the Cisco Academy Class i went through they teach you that the internet was created by DOD and not friggen Al whore. is this some country debate? Everyone seems to claim they created teh interwebs. r we choosing sides here? To me it seems like its anyones opinion on who created the internet. Im a little disappointed that there seems to b no god father of this great creation we all kno and love. at least to me[/citation]

I think it really depends on your definition of what defines the source of the internet. If you mean inter-connectivity of computers in remote locations then ARPANET is the founding of the internet which I agree with. While if you consider the first browser to type in an address and view a page I suppose then that goes to Tim Berners-Lee. Even DNS precedes Worldwideweb being invented in 1983 by Paul Mockapetris.

In his document RFC 882 written in 1983 he mentions the word internet. So how could Berners-Lee invent something that was already named and used at least 6 years earlier?

G

Tim Bernes Lee is a founder of the www, saying he is a founder of the internet is giving him way too much credit! I'd refuse to acknowledge that if someone questioned me!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I liked the old guy at the end. The English still don't know how to talk right, with their silly accent that irritates everyone, except for the guy in the end. Most of the English have that annoying gibberish accent that's hard to understand, while the gentleman at the end obviously was of some breeding. He sounded more like the BBC.

And before someone yells at me for being a stupid American, it's not just Americans that find the accent ridiculous. I had several French friends say the can understand Americans, not Brits, and Brazilians have told me the same thing, as well as Filipinos. So, if you all want to keep your accents, sound like the guy at the end! I hate to say it, but I prefer it to the American non-accent. Well, except for the southern accent. Girls with the southern accent (especially Tennessee) are just adorable. French accent is too. Between those two, it's a toss up.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Also, I hear that 0% of the girls from the U.K. that write articles for Tom's Hardware don't know the difference between the World Wide Web and the Internet.

I'm going to tell your sister this, for the next time you get abusive.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Also, I hear that 0% of the girls from the U.K. that write articles for Tom's Hardware don't know the difference between the World Wide Web and the Internet.

I'm going to tell your sister this, for the next time you get abusive.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]I liked the old guy at the end. The English still don't know how to talk right, with their silly accent that irritates everyone, except for the guy in the end. Most of the English have that annoying gibberish accent that's hard to understand, while the gentleman at the end obviously was of some breeding. He sounded more like the BBC. And before someone yells at me for being a stupid American, it's not just Americans that find the accent ridiculous. I had several French friends say the can understand Americans, not Brits, and Brazilians have told me the same thing, as well as Filipinos. So, if you all want to keep your accents, sound like the guy at the end! I hate to say it, but I prefer it to the American non-accent. Well, except for the southern accent. Girls with the southern accent (especially Tennessee) are just adorable. French accent is too. Between those two, it's a toss up.[/citation]

The americans don't have a non-accent. I always find it hilarious that everyone I work with sounds just like a movie character. No joke, the first time I spoke to any of the guys over the phone, I couldn't stop laughing because it sounded like I was talking to my TV.

G

Huh, i've been told that ouR (ameRican) fascination of Really pRonouncing ouR "R"'s is Really quite annoying to other English speakERs.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Also, I hear that 0% of the girls from the U.K. that write articles for Tom's Hardware don't know the difference between the World Wide Web and the Internet. I'm going to tell your sister this, for the next time you get abusive.[/citation]

I'm not from the UK. I'm from Ireland. HUGE difference.

[citation][nom]rand_79[/nom]Horrid overused picture Jane... go find some new ones please[/citation]

I've used it twice ever. :(

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]The americans don't have a non-accent. I always find it hilarious that everyone I work with sounds just like a movie character. No joke, the first time I spoke to any of the guys over the phone, I couldn't stop laughing because it sounded like I was talking to my TV.[/citation]

Actually, if you talk to people from other countries, that don't speak English as a first language, they will all tell you that Americans have no accent. Well, except for regions like Boston, New York, the South, etc... They find it much easier to understand than the English. The way we are supposed to speak is like the mid-west, which is considered the most accent-free area. It's considered the most professional.

We are very easy to understand. I watch some English movies and wonder what the heck they are saying. They don't have this problem with us. You might find it funny, mainly because your perspective is warped :p, but you can understand us.

Again, the proper English accent sounds nice, and elegant. The old guy has a nice accent. But a lot of them are just plain ugly and sound low class.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I'm not from the UK. I'm from Ireland. HUGE difference.I've used it twice ever.[/citation]

Oh, sorry, I thought you were from Scotland.

Although, I'm not sure if it's such a huge difference. You realize you were part of the UK less than 100 years ago. Heck, I'm not even sure there's a huge difference between the U.S. and the U.K., when taken into the context of what other countries are like. You guys almost speak English, have the same basic religions, have the same basic social structures, where the same clothes, watch the same bad movies, use the same technology, etc... My guess is you could move to England and function properly from day one. I could too, if I could understand what the heck they were saying. I'd have to hire that old guy as an interpreter. If you were soooooo much different, you couldn't. Think of Congo, or Iran, etc... I don't think adjusting to those countries would be so easy.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]boredatwork[/nom]Huh, i've been told that ouR (ameRican) fascination of Really pRonouncing ouR "R"'s is Really quite annoying to other English speakERs.[/citation]

It's nothing compared to the way some of the Romance languages use R. Try Spanish.

Besides, if you don't want to pronounce the letter R, why put it in?

Last point, you don't use Anglophones as the basis for deciding who has an accent. We are all too close to it. I can't possibly understand if we have an accent, because I'm so used to it, I have no perspective. I asked people from other countries, and they hate the English accent, and can't understand it. They find Americans easier to understand and without accent.

Now, the problem with that is, because American movies are so popular there is possible contamination. Is that their norm, because of that, and if so, it would invalidate what they say.

I'm too close to it. But, it seems to me, we have a very flat way of pronouncing words, without all the drama and inflection of other Anglophones. But, again, I don't have the perspective to say for sure.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Although, I'm not sure if it's such a huge difference. You realize you were part of the UK less than 100 years ago.[/citation]

I do realise that and I appreciate where you're coming from but try and understand that 800 years of oppression tend to leave a bitter taste. Ireland fought extremely hard for independence. To the people of Ireland, there's a huge difference between Ireland and England.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Actually, if you talk to people from other countries, that don't speak English as a first language, they will all tell you that Americans have no accent. Well, except for regions like Boston, New York, the South, etc... They find it much easier to understand than the English. The way we are supposed to speak is like the mid-west, which is considered the most accent-free area. It's considered the most professional. We are very easy to understand. I watch some English movies and wonder what the heck they are saying. They don't have this problem with us. You might find it funny, mainly because your perspective is warped :p, but you can understand us. Again, the proper English accent sounds nice, and elegant. The old guy has a nice accent. But a lot of them are just plain ugly and sound low class.[/citation]

I'm not saying Americans are hard to understand, I'm just saying you guys do have an accent. Irish people think they don't have an accent and so do british people.

I don't think my perspective is warped. I just think that everyone has an accent. I agree that a lot of variations of the English accent are hard to understand. However, I also have the same problem with a friend of mine from Louisiana. Sure, friends in Chicago are easier to understand than him but they still have an accent.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]I liked the old guy at the end. The English still don't know how to talk right, with their silly accent that irritates everyone, except for the guy in the end. Most of the English have that annoying gibberish accent that's hard to understand, while the gentleman at the end obviously was of some breeding. He sounded more like the BBC. And before someone yells at me for being a stupid American, it's not just Americans that find the accent ridiculous. I had several French friends say the can understand Americans, not Brits, and Brazilians have told me the same thing, as well as Filipinos. So, if you all want to keep your accents, sound like the guy at the end! I hate to say it, but I prefer it to the American non-accent. Well, except for the southern accent. Girls with the southern accent (especially Tennessee) are just adorable. French accent is too. Between those two, it's a toss up.[/citation]

The only reason why people can easily understand American accents is that everyone watches American movies and television. The majority of non-English Europeans hear only American-English on the radio, tv, and often youtube.

PS: English did NOT originate in the U.S.A., so technically, it's you who has an accent, not the Brits.

PPS: I think Southern accents sound awful; but that is just because of the Southern=racist-redneck=imbred=stupid stereotype.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Actually, I'm curious what percentage of the readers here know what SaaS is in the first place... I work in an SaaS company so I'll exclude myself. Again, no googling or it'll be 100% :) The reason I'm asking is I saw somebody apparently confusing SaaS with SAS...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Everyone has an accent. Most people just don't look outside of their country enough to realise it.

Just be grateful that there weren't any Australians on the video, otherwiseyou'dhavetoputupwithsentencesthatareallsmooshedtogetherandjustsoundlikeonebigword.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]Actually, I'm curious what percentage of the readers here know what SaaS is in the first place... I work in an SaaS company so I'll exclude myself. Again, no googling or it'll be 100% The reason I'm asking is I saw somebody apparently confusing SaaS with SAS...[/citation]

Software as a service.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
wow ... I can't believe how dumb people are these days ...

or should I say "I can't believe how people dont cared about things around them these days ..."

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Entertaining.
Though I believe Bill Gates should be a household name. Hell, I'll name my damned kids all Bill Gates!

VHD does sound like a STI we call them sexually transmitted infections here) and SaaS sounds like some super Nazi (maybe because I've been playing Nazi killing games though).

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't even know what saas is... All others I knew, but who cares really? Any of those really relevant to everyday life? Nope. Sure you use Facebook and others, but who cares what it is?

G

"o 7, who is bill gates? Oh, he knocked a few good together when he did uh oyaoyaoyaoyoyaoya(unintellible)come on Bill! Bill lad. Richest man in the world. - LOL!!!

What is SaaS? Ain't got a clue except they used to fight in the war. - wth?!??"

It's a few QUID, not a few good. British currency. And the guy mixed up the SAS (british commandos- Special Air Service and no it's not the "special" air service) with SAAS or SAS, which between them stand for quite a few tech things.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I spoke to my wife about this yesterday and she indicated there is a soccer (or football, if you are from the UK) player with the name Stephen Job, so I can see how they could become confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.