200 gb missing from SSD after restore

Philipg88

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Hi

I recently did a restoration of windows 8.1 which i had installed on a corsair 500 gb SSD
Now when examining the disk space, it only shows that 100 gb is free, although the C drive only has 109 gb of used space.. So where is this 240 gb of space located?.. I have deleted the hibernation file, and the pagefile is only a couple of gigabytes.. So there is this massive amount that the system just isn't showing.. How can i find and free up this space?

Solution
You should go to computer management / storage devices and see if there is any unallocated space on your SSD.
In Windows 8,1, right click on My computer / Manage/ Storage / Disk Management. I guess that under Windows 7 is the same.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
You should go to computer management / storage devices and see if there is any unallocated space on your SSD.
In Windows 8,1, right click on My computer / Manage/ Storage / Disk Management. I guess that under Windows 7 is the same.

Solution

Philipg88

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014

No, sorry.. the hard drive does not have any unallocated space..

Philipg88

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Strange thing is though, that the available space is about the same as before i restored the system by installing from the ISO file of windows.. Could i have installed windows 8.1 twice? and the previous version with all the files is still there hidden somewhere?

Philipg88

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Ok, found the solution, its to delete the windows.old file.. Which was not showing up as storage space on C:
Tutorial in how to do it

http://techzend.com/delete-windows-old-folder-81/

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Go to the website of your SSD and download their utility program... if you have a Samsung get Magician... if you have a Corsair... get Corsair SSD Toolbox.

I'm thinking that maybe something got messed up and your drive accidentally created a 200GB overprovisioning or something like that... if so, it will tell you. I just checked my drive... and Disk Management does NOT show the overprovisioning part of my drive.