2000$ AUD Gaming Self Built PC, Need Some Guidance

Hendrix86

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hey all,

I've recently made another post asking for tips for purchasing a pre built gaming PC. I think I might go down the road of trying and build it by myself.. Or is it really risky?

Anyway, I've copied the major issues from my previous post; Voila:

Budget: Around 2000$ AUD

Purpose: Purely gaming, Internet browsing and watching downloaded movies as well but nothing to do with 3D rendering.

What will it be connected to: Not a monitor. This computer will sit next to the TV (50" Full HD) and connect to it via HDMI and be remote controlled with wireless keyboard and mouse.

Design of the case: Doesn’t matter to me.

What games do I want to play: Battlefield 4, Titanfall (specs have not been announced), The Division (specs have not been announced), Assassin Creed 4, Dragon Age Inq, Watch Dogs and the likes. I know most of these game's requirements have not been published.

How well do I want to run those games: I'd love to say Ultra settings but would settle for High as well.

When do I want it: mid December if not later, when I can afford it.

Possible future upgrades: As far as my very limited knowledge, I believe the only thing I will need to update will be Graphic card? Or possibly add 1 more video card down the road? Not too keen on spending 1000$ on Titan so I was thinking of getting just 1 780m now and down the road another one.

Preferred companies: I've came to learn that it is better to go with Nvidia and Intel.

Will I carry this computer around: Nope, I don’t do LAN parties and the likes. Ill play online from the comfy of my couch.

Overclocking: To be honest, I’m not sure I completely understand what it means. Sort of like putting your PC on steroids?

Heating / Noise: Avoid both but not going to let it burn a hole in my budget.

Size of Hard Drive: I was thinking 750GB would do.

Internet connection: Ill need it to have wireless built in.

Any specific parts I want: GTX 780m (one for now)

SSD: I’ve learned they’re not important for gaming PCs but I don’t mind putting one in if it will make the PC faster. Cheap one would do right?

Processor: I understand i5 and i7 don’t make a difference for gaming but since its the future, shouldn’t I go with i7?

DVD / Blue Ray: Don’t care for it. Since these days you can digitally download every game from Steam or Origin.

Operating system: Ill need to buy one. I’ve understood Win 8 doesn’t give you a boost in gaming but since its the future of Microsoft, shouldn’t I opt to go with it? I’ve also heard 8.1 does a good job improving it.

Here is the PC build I just made.

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1SBVt
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1SBVt/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1SBVt/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.00 @ Scorptec)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($819.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($18.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($169.00 @ CPL Online)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($29.00 @ Scorptec)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($120.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $2090.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-24 23:41 EST+1100)

Please note:

1. Still haven't selected a PC Case. Which case would you recommend? Please consider the following:
* I would like to one day upgrade to a 2nd Graphic Card (780 variation or higher)
* Although I do not plan on carrying the PC from one place to another, I would still like it to be small.
* I don't know which bay a Graphic Card plugs into.

2. Most parts I've chosen was based on amount of good reviews (stars) and price.

3. I will revise this build in the Graphic Card department once GTX 780 Ti is out and compare it's price and performance to 780M after (hopeful) price cut.

4. Is the Wireless network adapter Ive chosen good? It is a must for wireless connection right?

5. Is there an option to connect the PC to a Surround Sound system via Digital Optical connection? Do I have to have a Sound Card?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution
I would recommend i7-4770 K (Over-clocking purpose)
with h80 or h100 cooler depending on your case size.
and gtx 780 is around $660 USD. i don't know what happened up there.
1. i would recommend corsair 650d or corsair 750d for more room
2.wifi card that you chose, i've used it before, honestly it dropped internet after downloading like 10 gb files or playing game for 8 hours or so. I'm using Gigabyte GC-WB300D on windows 8 pro, it works really good, and i downloaded about 50gb file straight , it didn't drop, + it comes with bluetooth!
3.for surround sound, it depends on your motherboard, check your mother board ui , and see if there's any ports.
and if there isn't, buy card, it's not that expensive.

hope it helped.

Sistahopp

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I would recommend i7-4770 K (Over-clocking purpose)
with h80 or h100 cooler depending on your case size.
and gtx 780 is around $660 USD. i don't know what happened up there.
1. i would recommend corsair 650d or corsair 750d for more room
2.wifi card that you chose, i've used it before, honestly it dropped internet after downloading like 10 gb files or playing game for 8 hours or so. I'm using Gigabyte GC-WB300D on windows 8 pro, it works really good, and i downloaded about 50gb file straight , it didn't drop, + it comes with bluetooth!
3.for surround sound, it depends on your motherboard, check your mother board ui , and see if there's any ports.
and if there isn't, buy card, it's not that expensive.

hope it helped.

Solution

Hendrix86

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hey, yeah it helped, thanks.

1. Overclocking - Like I said Im no expert. Got a rough idea of what it means.. "PC on steroids".. Will I really need it? I reckon in about 6 months time or so Ill upgrade to a 2nd Graphic card, will I still need to Overclock after that?

2. Prices of GTX 780 - Prices are Australian, maybe that explains? Cheapest 780 was only like 30$ less.. Although I just saw its a 780 and Im looking for 780M

3. Memory - Ill have a look into that, thanks.

Wifi and Surround sound Ill lookinto it. What specific port do I need to look for? Digital Audip output? Will it be named like that?

Thanks

Sistahopp

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_p6t_deluxe_review_x58_motherboard,7.html like that photo, check the side of mono.]

and 780M is pretty sure it's for laptop GPU.
and if you want to stream the game you play on twitch or something like that, you need over clocked cpu with good cooling. if you don't plan to do that and if you are going to stay with 1 monitor, go for non K series, but if you wanna go triple monitor, you need K series with more powerful power supply like 1050w or so.
and other than that it looks goood