[SOLVED] 2007 Macbook White Screen to Black, HDD formatted no recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2015
Hello all, so the other day I got a Macbook from my buddy for free because he said he accidentally formatted the Drive and now it won't start and if I could fix it I could have it. So I turned it on and took out a recovery stick for Yosemite that he also gave me and tried to boot. The unit did not respond at all, chimed, went to white, then went to black with the system still running.

When it booted I tried to holding command+R and then rebooting and holding Option, finally I tried booting in with Gparted to maybe reformat the drive thinking maybe something was wrong with the tables in the drive but it won't even give me the boot menu. I'm not that experienced with Apple stuff so I would like to know what else I can try to make it see an external drive with Snow Leopard or maybe something newer on it. It would be a really nice gift to give my 6 year old niece for xmas as she wants a laptop and this might be a good first computer for her.

Solution
You may want to try resetting the PRAM. Apple states, "... (2) Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4. (3) Turn on your Mac. (4) Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the black screen with the Apple logo appears. (5) Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time" (step 1 skipped).

Your 2007 Macbook may only support up to OS X 10.7.x, so Yosemite won't work.

See here for the steps I mentioned: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph18761?locale=en_US

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
You may want to try resetting the PRAM. Apple states, "... (2) Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4. (3) Turn on your Mac. (4) Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the black screen with the Apple logo appears. (5) Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time" (step 1 skipped).

Your 2007 Macbook may only support up to OS X 10.7.x, so Yosemite won't work.

See here for the steps I mentioned: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph18761?locale=en_US

Solution

CrimsonEagle

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
do you have a spare hard drive laying around? If so, try putting it in and boot with a Mavericks recovery partition. If it works, purchase a SATA to USB and try reformatting that way.

AshleyBallard00

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
My Mac Book Pro hard drive has crashed and I'm in the process of replacing it. However, I had a lot of important data on that hard drive that he needs recovered. Then I found uFlysoft Data Recovery software that recovers data from corrupt/bad hard drives. And fully supported forHFS/ NTFS/FAT32 mac files. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.