[SOLVED] 200c CPU causing FPS drops

May 21, 2020
So I have a FX-8320 running at 3.5ghz with a hyper evo 212 cooler, I play gmod and Battlefront 2 exclusively and am very happy with my frames and setup. The issue is I get sudden FPS drops from 120 to around 20/30 and it really ruins my game. I've had this happen whilst looking at HWinfo and it displays 200+ temps with 100% CPU usage thus causing a bottleneck to 1400 on the CPU clock. It MAYBE possible that the back plate for the 212 evo isn't fully tight causing the cooler to be very slightly off the CPU (When I look at the cooler it is slightly bowed) but I doubt this is the cause, I am going to check tomorrow. IS there a way I can remove the bottleneck/safety feature of the CPU because it obviously is NOT running at 200c and the air coming out is warm but not hot so I am happy with temps. I have disabled AMD Cool 'n Quiet in BIOS already and the issue is still happening.
View: https://imgur.com/a/wDVIYmn

Solution
I am able to get the msi 970a sli krait edition from my brother (when quarantine is over) do you think this is a more substantial mobo for the CPU? I know it's not a 4k system but like I said, I only play some games. Also, would the 970A require a bios upgrade or would it be compatible straight away.
The 8320 is supported with the motherboard you already have. Read your temps with another program.

You can try down clocking and under volting your processor.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Try looking for "thermal throttling" and set it to disable, However I would high advise you avoid doing that, because the CPU max temps I believe were around 63°C-70°C, So even if it is not at 200°C maybe you are reaching this limit, specially if it happens when it's underload.
Beware that those drops are most likely caused because of the VRMS overheated, I just checked your motherboard "MSI 760GM-P23" and doesn't even have heatsink on the VRMs, so please AVOID forcing your PC, your motherboard is not ready for an FX8320, try undervolting, disable any turbo option and APM, and put a fan straight into your VRMs, otherwise, your board will be dead soon.

My old Asrock 970M pro3 (with heatsink) throttled my FX8300 @1.35v from 4.2ghz to 1.4ghz and it was because of the VRMs, not because of the CPU temps.
So please try to set your voltage fixed around 1.10v-1.25v, and play with the CPU clocks to see your highest safe clock at those voltages.

May 21, 2020
Try looking for "thermal throttling" and set it to disable, However I would high advise you avoid doing that, because the CPU max temps I believe were around 63°C-70°C, So even if it is not at 200°C maybe you are reaching this limit, specially if it happens when it's underload.
Beware that those drops are most likely caused because of the VRMS overheated, I just checked your motherboard "MSI 760GM-P23" and doesn't even have heatsink on the VRMs, so please AVOID forcing your PC, your motherboard is not ready for an FX8320, try undervolting, disable any turbo option and APM, and put a fan straight into your VRMs, otherwise, your board will be dead soon.

My old Asrock 970M pro3 (with heatsink) throttled my FX8300 @1.35v from 4.2ghz to 1.4ghz and it was because of the VRMs, not because of the CPU temps.
So please try to set your voltage fixed around 1.10v-1.25v, and play with the CPU clocks to see your highest safe clock at those voltages.

I am able to get the msi 970a sli krait edition from my brother (when quarantine is over) do you think this is a more substantial mobo for the CPU? I know it's not a 4k system but like I said, I only play some games. Also, would the 970A require a bios upgrade or would it be compatible straight away.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The 8320 is supported with the motherboard you already have. Read your temps with another program.

You can try down clocking and under volting your processor.

Last edited:
Solution

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Yes you will be a lot better with that board, it's only 5+3 phases, but will be good enough to handle up to 1.35-1.4v, in 8-core CPU if you have good airflow, so make sure you have good intake and exhaust fans, also make sure the thermal paste is in good shape. That will do the trick.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
That option is not their BUT NEVER EVER TELL SOMEBODY TO DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read what he underlined asking for help, and read my entire message, anyways I'm pretty sure his thermal throttle will still happen, as I believe it's not caused by the CPU, instead it's caused by the VRMs and even with thermal trottling disabled if the VRMs are the problem, they will trottle back despite the BIOS config.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That board is better still a low budget board, you need to remove and reapply the thermal paste after removing the cooler and will need to do a fresh install of windows when changing boards. Depending on the version of windows you have this could require buying a new product code to activate it.