2013 Audi A8L: Nvidia Graphics, Wi-Fi, LED Lights, And Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Another prime example of how B&O are only made for big wallets and not discerning audio enthusiasts. Bowers and Wilkins, such as in the Jaguar XF, sound utterly fantastic. In a car you have a minefield of acoustic problems to overcome, and it takes more than slapping in fancy looking speakers.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
*reads title*...so basically all the things Tesla already had in 2012?

(wifi hardware was present but the software wasn't enabled since the first year of 3G was free)

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
So umm. It is important to know that even lower end Audi's like the S4 (standard) and the A4 (optional) have these features, such as wi-fi, etc. And yes the wifi hotspot was available in last year's versions of these cars (which actually is the 2013 ones.) The a4/s4 versions are not touch though, which is not really an issue.

holmes4

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
Regarding USB and audio inputs - Audi typically puts a connector for these in the glove compartment. You may need to buy a custom adapter cable depending on your device. At least on my 2013 A4, it can control an iPhone through the MMI this way, though I just use the Bluetooth integration.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I've never heard the B&W in the XF. The Meridian system in the XJL is quite good though. The Acura Krell system in the RLX is the best system I've heard so far.

It's on the list of vehicles to cover. It's a very good vehicle and the new system is a massive improvement over the terrible TomTom system in the 6 and CX5.

Audi had it in the A8 since 2011

Bose is standard on Audi's. B&O is a $6300 option.

Yes

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Yes the A4 has MMI as well, but the touch pad is quite excellent. Also the interior ergonomics and overall package are different. The next gen A4 will have touch. Audi has a combo touch / control knob that debuted in the A3. I imagine it will make its way to the next A4.

Unfortunately driving with a third pedal will be a forgotten art. However, the 8-speed ZF is a very good transmission. I love manuals and everything, but will gladly trade a third pedal for adaptive cruise control with stop and go and the 8-speed ZF for daily driving.

You are correct. Ours only had the iPod connector, a 30-pin one at that. It's highway robbery that Audi sells the cables for about $70 to use a feature that should be standard by now.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I'm probably going to get downvoted for this but...I find it annoying people were all "make Google Glass illegal to wear while driving" because of the potential to distract the driver. And yet I see the smarts of this car having the same potential.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

People will always find ways to distract themselves if they aren't focused drivers. You can have all the electronic nannies and lock outs you want, but that doesn't stop a parent turning around to yell at their kids before plowing into the car in front of them IMO.

that is a lot of buttons... way too many buttons...Don't get me wrong, I love me some buttons to press, but if complicated games that have 100 different things going on can get by with using just a few of the 16 buttons and 2 sticks available on your average controller, then surely a car's navigation and infotainment system can make due with far less for a much simpler experience.Wake me up when cars get a proper HUD to control the car with rather than overly complicated center consoles that are needlessly complicated and difficult to operate while driving.

G

I've never had 100 grand to drop on a vehicle, but I'd be satisfied with a car that doesn't require thousands of dollars in repairs after a few hundred thousand kilometers

PLA01

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I have a 2011 A8 Premium with the B&O sound system. MP3 files don't sound great, but I recently hooked up an A&K120/HIFIM8 combo through the 3.5mm connector cable and the 24/192 files sound fantastic. It is not a convenient set up, since there is no information displayed on the pop up screen but the sound is awesome.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
$1300 for LED Headlights? More proof that emitter technology isn't ready yet. Still trying to figure out what's wrong with halogens that aren't choked on low voltage by crappy small-gauge wiring. The spectrum is better and the color temperature is better suited to our visual system, which evolved to be most effective in low lux situations with the wavelengths found at dawn and dusk. Who wants to shell out 750 beans to replace a broken headlight when they hit a deer at 25mph?

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

That's interesting. I ran 320kbps files through it and it just didn't sound good whereas the same files sounded phenomenal in the Acura RLX (Krell) and fantastic in the Jaguar XJL (Meridian). How do you like the A8 so far? Any major problems?

That's actually pretty cheap. Have you ever priced out a pair of headlights for German vehicles? Just the headlight with projector, not counting bulb and ballast for an HID setup can run $1500 a piece. Or at least that's how much the E-code Hella projectors were to cost for my former E39.

PLA01

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.