2013 Gaming Build - What should I sell it for?

Matiaskristiansen

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
I built and bought parts to my gaming build in 2013. I just recently found a guy who were looking for a decent low-end gaming computer that could run WoW. (on max settings most likely)

But I am not certain what I should sell my computer for.

I used PCPartPicker to determine an estimate. (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sanguinary/saved/#view=VYh7WZ)

I was thinking of selling it around 550$-650$, is this ideal? Should I go higher or lower?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I would have said $300 also.

But then I checked each part on ebay and came up with some pretty good combined numbers, the only thing that is uncertain is the value of the case. How much did you pay for that case? I'm unfamiliar with it.

You'd probably get more if you parted it out, but combined I can't see anyone paying near $500 for an AMD FX-series and HD-7850. Easiest/quickest thing is to let it go for $300 and build you a new system. But, at the same time I'd hate to see people paying for an obsolete system. At least when you part it out, those people are actually looking for those individual parts.

$75 - FX-6350
$80 - MSI 970 GAMING AM3+
$100 - 24GB DDR3 1600
$25 - 120GB V300 SSD
$70 - Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
$150 - Cooler Master...

That system would go for 300$ max. Your cpu is not enough to run wow and max settings as it's single core performance is really weak compared to intel's cpu's of the time.

The only thing your system has going over others with the same cpu and gpu performance is the ssd and large amount of ram.

Matiaskristiansen

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Understandable. I've played WoW on close to max settings though and it has worked fine with no issues what so ever. Do you perhaps underestimate the system? Considering WoW's recommended requirements is a AMD FX-6300.

However, I do understand that this build is really bad compared to today's standards.

I would have said $300 also.

But then I checked each part on ebay and came up with some pretty good combined numbers, the only thing that is uncertain is the value of the case. How much did you pay for that case? I'm unfamiliar with it.

You'd probably get more if you parted it out, but combined I can't see anyone paying near $500 for an AMD FX-series and HD-7850. Easiest/quickest thing is to let it go for $300 and build you a new system. But, at the same time I'd hate to see people paying for an obsolete system. At least when you part it out, those people are actually looking for those individual parts.

$75 - FX-6350
$80 - MSI 970 GAMING AM3+
$100 - 24GB DDR3 1600
$25 - 120GB V300 SSD
$70 - Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
$150 - Cooler Master CM 690 II (???)
$70 - RM850x
------------------------
$570 - TOTAL

*You shouldn't charge someone the same price for all of the parts combined as you would by selling each part individually.

I would keep the case and power supply (two best parts) and sell everything else. Keep your Windows 10 also. Unless you just want to get your friend something to game on.

Solution

I'm talking about max settings not close to max. At max it won't perform well at all the moment things start going on or a good bunch of charachters appear onscreen.

volkgren did suggest a good idea and that is parting the system out. This is however more work and you can end up with parts that simply won't sell. The am3+ socket and it's cpu's are not a popular used item.

Matiaskristiansen

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I'm convinced and sadden that this system wont go for more than expected, it's indeed obsolete as you say.
Should I still sell it though, even though it's outdated? He just wanted a system he could play Vanilla WoW on, so I guess my offer of 300$ for an outdated system isn't bad?

I won't keep my case nor PSU (mainly because he needs it and I want to save him the hassle of buying individual parts) but if I keep my Windows 10 doesn't that mean he needs to buy it? Would it be more convenient for me?

Matiaskristiansen

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Alright, my misunderstanding. Yeah, I probably won't part my system out, he wants a functioning system (plug it up and play) so I guess I'll just sell it for around 300$.