2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Refined Just Right; Raw Where It Counts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Eh it is still fairly capable off-road, which makes it better than the standard crossovers it competes with. Also the sales will help keep the Wrangler around for the hardcore Jeep faithful. There's no CD player in the one we had, but there's a console-mounted option for those that want it.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I'd say it's a little more than fairly capable off road, other than the skid plates of course. There aren't a lot of SUVs out there where you can get a low speed transfer case any more which is key in off roading. I DO off road with mine and other than a few issues it's been great. I can go anywhere an FJ cruiser can go with mine as well so if Grand Cherokees suck off road then I guess FJ Cruisers and Tacomas suck as well. It's a much, much more refined vehicle than the WK1 and not quite as good off road as it but much more competent than the vast majority of people who bought the WK1 need as well. Also exactly what Tuanies said on how WK2 sales will help keep the Wrangler in production. I got to say that it gets real frustrating listening to people gripe how the WK2 is not a true jeep while never actually seeing what they can do. Yes it's a unibody without solid axles so don't expect to build one for rock climbing. I give Dodge a lot of credit for this vehicle because they kept the usefulness of a GK while making it quieter and more fuel efficient than my Cadillac CTS was.
These are two real quick vids I found on youtube. While it's nothing insane the second one is still more than a lot of other SUVs can do :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHuefRoV7NM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxqL320GSZ0

Also most dodges come with no CD player now as a base. I prefer it any ways because they all have usb inputs. I have used one CD in my Jeep in two years and that to tune the stereo. Get a $10 flash drive and burn you're music on to that, it's as easy as that. Also flash drives don't skip when you're off roading.

Status
Not open for further replies.