2015 Dodge Challenger: Old School Fun With Up To 707 Hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

What question? ;). It still saddens me the old Dodge the father, Ram the daughter stickers are no longer applicable to the new trucks :(

I drove it again two weeks ago at a press event, there's something about mashing the pedal of an automatic Hellcat and watching the rear tires just light up makes me giddy like a school boy.

I asked my wife if I could buy a Charger SRT Hellcat, she said no :(.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I didn't really try to push it at the track, it was pouring down rain. When it started drying up, I took out the SXT and didn't find it too bad. It's no Exige or Miata but it gets the job done.

Amdlova

Distinguished
that car is amazing... where i from we got here engines with 1 liter 3 or 4 cylinder man that sucks alot! when i see some muscle car i wanna cry... and for god sake the 1 liter engines only make on road 14km/l this dodge make at last 12 km/l!

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
4450 pounds is pretty damn heavy. Gonna be rough taking hard turns. I would still take a Nissan skyline gtr R34 Z tune. It "only" produces 500 horsepower but weighs 3300 pounds a whole 1150 pounds less and gets that 500 hp from a turbod 2.8L 6 cylinder engine. 0-60 in 3.8 seconds with a top speed of 202 mph. But it's really known for its incredible suspension and handling and this car can cut corners like no other.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
This is not a sensible decision - you buy this type of car out of sheer passion for "cool". I think it's seriously cool. Old school looks with modern day tech. Yes please, I'll have one, but not as a daily driver.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
This car is way too heavy, I tested the Hemi version 1 year ago and I felt I was driving a truck. I ended up buying a corvette 6.3L for less money, and it's a beast.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I love the R34. I would love to have a Autech Stagea 260RS with the Skyline front end swap, GT-R performance in a family friendly wagon. However, the GT-R is a heavy beast but manages to defy gravity as well. You can make a good handling car that's heavy, but it doesn't feel as nimble as a much lighter car, despite being every bit as capable.

It really isn't a sensible car at all, its insane and defies all accounting logic as to why it should be made. However, I'm glad in a day and age of green-focused cars that we still have something so insane to make it into production. I think you could easily get into too much trouble with one as a daily driver.

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The hellcat is so heavy under full cornering you can roll the tires off the wheels. Its so heavy not even srt drivers can get the times fiat/chrysler say it can get. It is so heavy under acceleration the tires rotate on the weels aswell. If you buy this make sure you have deep pockets your going to need them for the tires gas breaks and insurance. Hellcat is another twist on the viper its so old outdated and inefficient. Not a smart buy at all...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Problem with US automakers is that they know that their general population sees 'Big Horsepower!' and stops there. You also have to consider curb weight and power to weight ratio as well as handling. Sure, it will do a great standing 1/4 mile, but I bet it handles like a pig in winding corners and up/down mountains.

Nissan GTR > Dodge Challenger SRT (including w/Hellcat motor)

I'd even prefer a Corvette Stingray or Z06 over this thing. Heck, I'd rather have a Viper/SRT10 than this.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

FiatChrysler will gladly sell you an Alfa Romeo 4c that's light, nimble and a ton of fun for the same price. At $60k, its a phenomenal car if you just want to mash the pedal and grin. I enjoy both types of driving and I'm not going to deny mashing the pedal on the Hellcat doesn't make me grin like a schoolboy.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
4C would be a better choice, but depends if US will get the 'same' 4C that Europe sees. I'd rather have quick, nimble and fun to drive rather than clunky, heavy and going everywhere with a need to haul a fuel tanker just to stay on the road.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Yea I drove a Euro-spec preproduction and the car is amazing. It has little sexy bits of carbon fiber that's revealed when you open the doors, everything is tastefully done. The sound of the 1.7 turbo spooling up and the blow off behind you is like ear candy. Been trying to sell my wife on it as a Exige she could drive because the Exige is her perfect car, but she can't really drive stick.

However, I'll probably end up buying another Miata in a couple years.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Easy solution, buy a cheap, 10 year old 5 speed Honda Civic or Accord and teach her to drive manual. I taught my wife to drive stick in a single afternoon when she was 19 years old (when we were dating, of course).

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I've been trying to teach her to drive the Project 5 but she's hesitant and is scared of rolling back. She'll learn eventually, but at this point I just bought her a Nissan Leaf so she's probably even less likely to learn now.

jeffredo

Distinguished
I'd happily take a base 2015 V6 Challenger (with 305 HP, 3850 lbs and regular unleaded). $27,500 sounds about right for it. I'm 6'4" - a big coupe like this would fit me perfectly.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Yea, being tall is problematic when it comes to buying cars. Its a big coupe and the price is right. The V6 is also rated for 30MPG highway so you can have some fun, look good and be comfortable.

Ask if the dealer will accept your wife on trade! j/k

Seems like that's a fear a lot of women had, including my girlfriend. I made her learn how to drive a manual on hilly roads with stop signs. After a week of yelling and cursing at me, she eventually thanked me. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.