2017 - 5K Video Editing - Budget not a concern

skydiveandy

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
We are looking at building a windows machine for editing 4 and 5K video

Will need to have access to at least 1 Thunderbolt 3 port.

I anticipate 32 - 64 Gb of RAM 8 Slot motherboard

On board Raid 0,1 and 5

Case with support for Hot Swap Drives

We already run MAC machines and want to give the PC a go, mostly because we can upgrade a lot easier.

Thank you for your help

Solution
If budget isn't a concern just buy 2 3tb ssds and mirror them. Speed should be fine still. As for the resolution I'm not 100% sure but I think you can run them at different resolutions. May need to confirm this as I've never actually tried but I'm rather sure I've seen people do it this way with a 1440p gaming monitor then a 1080 cheap one for background apps

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I I can't find a case I like to save my life... After a decent amount of research a MSI x99p SLI board is one of what seems to be very few x99 boards with tunderbolt. I'd suggest a 6900k or the 10 core version if you have literally no budget. Hard to build the rest of it not knowing which programs you'd use. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/krDzK8/gskill-memory-f43200c15q264gvr was the best editing kit I could find budget wise. Hardest part for me to find was a hot swappable case that looked like something that wouldn't be a pain in the butt. Maybe you have one in mind

skydiveandy

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks..

We use Premiere now on the MAC machines and expect to be running DaVinci Resolve 12.5 in the near future as well as the entire Adobe suite inc After effects etc etc.

As far as the Case is concerned i feel your pain.. I have been looking long and hard too,

Thanks

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Unsure about divinci using double precision but the Adobe suite doesn't so a GTX 1070/1080/Titanx Pascal would be your best GPU choices. Unless you can confirm on divinci using double precision I'd go with one of those cards. As for the drives you were pretty specific about what u wanted so I left them out figured you had an idea. They do make separate hot swap cages that I suppose you could add to any other case

skydiveandy

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

I see that DaVinci Resolve Is Coded For FP32 Only and from what i can tell that means single digit..

1080 was one of the cards we were considering. But then the real question, which one Asus, MSI, Gigabytye or EVGA ?

skydiveandy

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

ok so the motherboard seems obvious as does the Video Card

What monitors are people using these days for editing.. 27 inch and above ??

skydiveandy

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
i have been doing some research and looked at the link Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 Intel Core i7 7700K & i5 7600K Performance..

Looking at the tables it seems that the 7700 out performs all including the 6950..

I would love to see the same comparison done for an editing system.

No matter what there is some great information here.. Thanks guys..

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-3-CPU-Comparison-849/

Photo shop may not scale to more than 4 cores (didn't bother to look it up as both will shred photos). However premiere scales all the way to 20 (the 6950x is a 10 core 20 threaded $1700 beast and it out performs the rest). The 7700k shows to win in Photoshop because it's stock clocks are higher most likely. Whichever CPU you choose will easily oc to at least the stock turbo boost speed of a 7700k

skydiveandy

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks for that. Makes a lot of sense..

I had already spec'd the 6950 and the Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI Motherboard.. I only choose that motherboard because thats the only X99 my supplier stocks.

My concern with that motherboard is the SLI, I think i read somewhere that Premiere didnt like SLI.. Is that true ?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Yes it doesn't help hardly at all. SLI is just a feature that allows you to use two GPUs together. You're not using SLI so it won't affect anything. It's nothing in the board that will hurt one GPU. Just remember to ensure whatever board they have is thunderbolt supporting. Most x99 aren't.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Last thought. Unless you guys found some super Mac I'm not aware of this thing will be so much faster than what you're using that it'll change whoever is using its day. They will have to do more work and won't be able to blame their lack of stuff done on long renders

skydiveandy

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
So down to the nitty grity.. I have a few options of motherboards, anyone give my an idea why ones better than the others.. They all have Thunderbolt 3 already built in or have the header ready to accept the $70 add on card

Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI
Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX
ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10 Motherboard
ASUS X99-DELUXE II Motherboard

Next issue

We are looking at connecting 2 x monitors 27-32 inch and 1 x TV HDMI for output

We had decided on the GTX 1080, will we get the performance we need from the 1080 to handle the above config ??

Thanks

Andy

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=-1%7C13-128-885%5E13-128-885%2C9SIA24G47N1371%5E9SIA24G47N1371%2C13-132-831%5E13-132-831%2C13-132-838%5E13-132-838

From the options I like both Asus boards better, however I don't believe for a second it's accurate but it acts like they don't have raid capabilities. Possibly for nvme ssds is kind of the main reason I prefer them but they just have LOTS of options for no matter what you want to do. The rampage is even more flexible than the deluxe

skydiveandy

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
When using the ASUS boards, under Raid can i create more than 1 RAID volume ?

Given it has 10 SATA ports i could see a storage volume Raid 5 and a working/editing volume Raid 0 to get the speed up.

Next question relates to the GTX 1080 cards..

Looking to use 2 monitors that dont need to be 4K for the actual editing and a 4K monitor/tv for previewing the output. it looks to me that i will need 2 x GPUs to do this.. is this right ?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
If budget isn't a concern just buy 2 3tb ssds and mirror them. Speed should be fine still. As for the resolution I'm not 100% sure but I think you can run them at different resolutions. May need to confirm this as I've never actually tried but I'm rather sure I've seen people do it this way with a 1440p gaming monitor then a 1080 cheap one for background apps

Solution