2019 Ultimate 4K Gaming Build - Planning, Decisions, Questions

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,
I'm planning to build a brand new Gaming system, by the end of 2018 or start of 2019. My deadline is March 2019 - when DMC5 comes out! :bounce:
I'm going for a white color theme.
Biggest dilemmas I have right now:
-Deciding on a Case and selecting parts accordingly (fitting, airflow, etc).
-Deciding and finding the right motherboard: with good bios, features, OC abilities, aesthetics: white color scheme/plating.
-Picking the right amount, type and size of SSD /M.2 drives (I don't know if M.2 is even worth it).
-As well as: The amount, speed, height and type of RAM and potential clearance/collision issues with AIO, case top etc.
-Adding or replacing case fans - if needed.

My list so far:
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 1080Ti OC
(Moving from my current build - I'll eventually move it back, when I upgrade the GPU in the future).
P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

CPU: Intel 9th Gen i9-9900K
CQU6Hzb.jpg

Motherboard: Undecided! I wanted the: ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING - But Amazon don't ship it to Israel right now. I would like something with white/platinum plating/color scheme.
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB
Yy1IqGC.png

I really like this one due to it's beautiful white frame and unique LED RGB light bar, and since it's blazing fast 3600MHz. It's a tall RAM though.
I'm thinking 16GB 2x8GB. But I wonder if I should get 32 (double price).
SSD: Undecided! Samsung 860 EVO or PRO.
uNeL2Qy.jpg

XIpaXqi.jpg

Optional: Samsung 970 EVO or PRO.
CPU Cooler: AIO Corsair H115i Pro 280mm Radiator.
ekmdyxL.png

PSU: Corsair RM850x White
qUgPo7h.png

Extra Case Fans: Depending on the case. Are the fans on the Define R6 good enough ? Do I need to replace or add more? If I get the Meshify I plan on these RGB fans:
Corsair LL Series LL140 RGB or LL120 RGB
But I can also put them inside the R6 and get some RGB lighting, albeit at lesser effect.

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 White or Meshify C White
FPsNJaL.jpg

Hu865mT.jpg

I also thought about the 460x. But it has serious clearance issues with RAM and AIOs, and worse cable management.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

SLI ? Hardly. SLI is dead. My last SLI was GTX980 and it was great with a few games. However SLI has been almost nonexistent for years.
I don't think anyone should do it. Not to mention costing a fortune, taking lots of space, power draw and raising the heat levels.

2080Ti? I wish. But it's absurdly overpriced as hell, and out of stock. Don't know who in their right mind will buy it (or 1080Ti) right now.
In the future, I might opt for a 3080Ti (or discounted 2080Ti maybe) - hopefully prices will come down to normal levels. Then I'll move this card back into my current rig, for a powerful secondary system.
I bought my current 1080Ti in 2017 - before the prices went crazy high. Over a year gone and prices are still bad.

Anyways, I'd appreciate some helpful replies.

Oct 13, 2018

Uhm he said he want to buy the next gen Nvidia Gpu so it will have a difference in performance later on.

With 1080Ti @ 4k an 8400 is enough today to keep the GPU maxed out, this is why I said 9600k/9700k which have great headroom for the future. If dropping down cpu allows a better gpu choice now/near future then I recommend this, it will show better gains. At 4k games are gpu bound, extra cpu performance will just go unused. If budget is not a concern as I originally said this doesn't matter.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I think there will be a difference, more so in the long run.
I always wanted to have an i7 with Hyper Threading. Now i7-9700K doesn't have it, so I'll go with i9-9900K.
I don't build or upgrade these parts very often. I rather make the most of my hardware.
My current build's core parts (as you can see int he signature) is from 2012. I skipped and postponed upgrading for a few years now. Wanting to have a significant improvement in technology and leap of performance.
That's why I'm willing to spend more money on key parts that matters the most, and go for the best and latest. Have some degree of future proofing and better support future GPU and games.

Besides, now that's there's actually an amazing game I'm really looking forward too- Devil May Cry 5- and new tech that just released. I think I have a good goal and deadline. So this new build have a great purpose to look forward too. I'm very happy I waited this long and I'm actually very satisfied with my current rig.

Last time I didn't spend extra for i7 I ended up regretting it in the long run. As games started to make more and more use of extra cores and threads.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I thought about that. But I remember reading that H150i Pro is more noisy and almost identical performance to the H115i Pro. I think the bigger 140ML fans should provide better cooling overall.
Plus I like the idea of having all my fans 140mm:
2 front 140 fans- intake.
1 rear 140 fan - exhaust
2 fans 140 at rad mounted on top - exhaust.
Extra fans?

Do you think the stock fans on the Fractal Design Define R6 are good enough?

As for 360mm RAD with 3 fans- would't it suck some cool fresh air from the front intake and toss it outside?

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Sorry for not replying, I've gone out of my way to check if there was a major difference between a 280mm rad and a 360mm and it seems like they will be almost equal, so no real point in going for h150i pro then. One more option I had in mind, was going for NH D15 with white chromax kit, that way you'll have excellent cooling performance (and low noise), that's not ruined by noctua's questionable design.
Regarding the case, have you thought about going with an ITX board and a Corsair 280x?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Thanks for checking it out.
Interesting idea. I'm sure it will look much better than normal D15, with its ugly fans.
But it will be quite expensive:
Will have to buy 2 chromax fan kits- around 30$ each, and one white chromax heat sink cover also 30$. Then also buy NH D15. That's 90$. Plus shipping and tax maybe. Ending up with 2 spare amazing brown fans.
There are also the Bequiet Dark Pro coolers...
Additionally, the D14 or D15 are huge. I hqve the nh d14. They clutter and occupy the center of the case. Making access to the CPU etx power cable, RAM and GPU very limited. So it blocks my fingers when cleaning or handling the case.
I wanted a more open empty space design.
The D15 is also very tall and big, won't fit every case, and will collide with anything but low profile ram I think- won't block the Vengeance RGB Pro? I know LPX fits, but wanted a more fancy and faster white rgb RAM.
I am thinking a 115iPro or 150i pro or any good AIO cooler will make the majority of the motherboard more open and free to navigate and handle while cleaning or working inside the case.
I never had a liquid cooler or aio of any kind though. So I'm not sure how much it will actually open up and free space, and maybe airflow inside the case. (They still have 2 pipes and a block).

Also is AIO more dangerous ? As in, can it fail or leak.
I honestly don't what's better anymore, AIO liquid cooling or air....?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Trying to decide between the Meshify C and Define R6.
I wish they offered a larger Meshify (non compact) or R6 Meshify version with front and top mesh.

I would like to get the Meshify C but I have A CRITICAL QUESTION:
Will the Meshify C fit a Top 280mm H115i Pro (or 240 H100i Pro) with Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (tall RAM) ????

I need to know what RAM, Cooler and case to pick and it's all very related!

I love the Define R 6 and it shouldn't have issues fitting anything inside, but I am worried mostly about THERMALS.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I'll appreciate some suggestions and thoughts on the following parts, there a few things still open:
1) GPU: would be using my current GPU for the time being. It's a shame I will have my current powerful gaming rig without a GPU to run it. But I already sold all 3 of my last GPUs and for good money: 2 GTX 980s and (1 670). Don't have a backup card.

2) CPU: Pretty much decided on the i9-9900K - unless reviews will somehow say the i7 is vastly superior. This is a major part that investing on would benefit greatly and further down the line.

3) Motherboard : I just don't know which one to choose and what to look for exactly. I think Wifi/BT is pretty much "basic". (My last one didn't have it).
My options are limited in my country and Amazon don't ship everyone - for some bizzare reason.
I really wanted the Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - but no luck so far.
There's also no z390s with white or silver color theme.
This is a missing link in my build.

4) RAM: I need to select the right RAM for the job! I'm not entirely sure which RAM is considered high-end and what specs to choose. I like the Corsair Vengeance RGB and RGB PRO series.
The PRO is 51mm tall, while the non pro is 44mm. So the former is exceptionally tall. Not sure if it's a real issue with a case like Define R6 and coolers.
I might take the non PRO just to be safer. But the PRO is just gorgeous.

SO, what's a good memory speed and size?
I thought about 3600MHz. Maybe 16GB = 2x8 GB. That is - if 16GB STILL considered enough for high end Gaming and other uses on a High End PC. I can always expand.

5) SSD drives: I only heard about M.2 few days ago. I always thought the Samsung 860 EVO is a great choice. It's much more affordable than before. My 850 EVO was double the price when I bought it - barely a year ago. Evo PRO is much more expansive - so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

As for M.2 drives: The EVO 970 or 970 PRO - what is your take on them?
Are there any downsides to these drives?
Do they cause more heat issues? Draw more power and even performance?

Need to select the right combo of SSD/M.2 drives. M.2 are still extremely expensive - double the cost of high end SSDs.

6) CPU Cooler: well I think I will go with AIO: Corsair H115i PRO. The reason I don't take the 150i PRO is because I'm not sure I want the entire top covered with fans. More noise, more dust to clean, and possibly even sucking colder air from the front. Never had an AIO before so I'm really uncertain about it.

7) PSU: Only white PSU I found was Corsair RM850x White (140$). I actually prefer the AX860 - but it's much more expensive (190$) and doesn't come in white.

8) Case: Pretty much closed on the Fractal Design Define R6.
I am torn about this and the Meshify. But the Meshify C is extremly compact and tight. If they invented a Meshify R6 or better yet: a bigger Meshify - that would have been perfect.
Wish I had more opinions in this matter.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Okay, so little update:
I narrowed the cases down to:
Fractal Define R6- fits 360mm top or front. 280 might have clearance issues.

Corsair 570X - I think it only fits 240mm top rad.

Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE - on which I can possibly fit 280m H115i -Top

Can anyone lend a hand with my other questions and dilemmas here?

Oct 24, 2018

i have similar problems, fractal design define R6 or corsair 500D with corsair h115i pro

i have asked both corsair and fractal design for support but only got a reply from corsair. however, they just told me the "h115i pro should fit".... i knew that... i asked about the clearances......

from what i have seen both of the cases are able to mount the h115i pro at the top, but... it depends on the rams' height and the height of the vrm heatsink's. mine is a asus x99 which comes with quite a large heatsink on the top as well as one on the left hand side, and my rams are kingston hyper x (34mm) located on both sides of the cpu. i am worry about the ram or heatsink will block the way if i mount the h115i pro at the top of the case.

and for you i believe both of the corsair rams wont fit with R6 since they are taller than the max ram clearance stated by R6

edit
oh just found something, showing you the h115i pro in R6 with tall rams like corsair's will not fit very likely
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/884948-define-r6-and-radiator-support/?do=findComment&comment=10930898

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I actually think Corsair will fit with the Corsair RGB and RGB Pro. But I'm kinda gambling. I spent days trying to get a solid answer but didn't get one.

Corsair Obsidian 500D is simply taller inside I think, and has more space between the mobo and ceiling. While on R6 the mobo is very close.

There are teo issues to consider with ram:
1.Width of ceiling mounting holes and rad- how far away from mobo.
2. Height: how far is the ceiling from mobo.

I saw a video of someone with that setup. But I can't find it now.
This link say it's 8 cm clearance from top:

I wish I had solid answers about it! Because I am buying a 220$ RAM - BLIND http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=175045
Isn't 8 enough? I think the RAD and fans will be above the RAM...

Does: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro fit without clearance issues with H115i Pro Mounted TOP in Corsair 500D RGB Case???

Oct 24, 2018

for 500D:
they're what i asked for from corsair support site

once i read ppl said it's about 7cm if i remember correctly. h115i pro's rad is 29mm in height and the fans are 25mm, so there's around 15mm left

but for the max ram height supported, i have no idea

for R6:

from what i found, tall rams/heatsink are no go if h115i pro (or 280mm rad) is to be mounted at top. however, there is an absolute advantage for R6, 280mm rad can also be mounted at the bottom of the case! so you have got one more option if you don like to put it in the front like me

in sum (my two cents):
- R6 is good with many hd trays, support 280mm rad at top/front/back. however, i don like the power button and ppl complained it got stuck sometimes! some even switched the power button and the reset button, and use the latter as the power switch button instead, omg...

- 500D is good too but with limited trays and without fans support at the bottom. this is embarrassing since there're 4mm gaps and without enough intake fans (or running in slow speed to reduce noise) to create a positive air pressure inside the case (by assuming the aio is used to take the heat out of the case), dust will be a big problem

by comparing the fans here i think they are 120mm fans

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Honestly, I don't know anymore about this.
Most of the components are out of stock. Mainly the CPUs.
Everything else is extremely overpriced and sold from bad sellers.

There's also a flood of videos against buying new 9th gen CPU- why i9-9900k sucks and you shouldn't buy it blah blah blah.
Some say i7-9700k is best other say it makes no sense to buy.
And Ryzen 2700X isn't so attractive to me, especially with more Ryzen 3700x/Zen 2 coming in unknown time, soon.

Who knows maybe Intel will release their new CPUs 2019 too.
While people praise i7-8700k - which I don't understand- this CPU requires a freaking Delid - something that's stupid by itself, and I'll never do or trust anyone with.

It feels building now is wrong on so many level.
What do you think guys?