Question 2070 Super giving me worse frames than a 1060 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Small-Change

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Hi,

Just upgraded to a 2070 super from my 1060 6GB. a pretty strong upgrade but im actually getting lower graphics than when I had the 1060. I have all newest drivers installed for the 2070. Is there anything that would be causing this?

Thanks!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
This is just not the case. 600W is perfectly capable of running the parts they listed
Yes 600watts should be fine , we are not worried about wattage but more about quality of that EVGA W1 psu.

Think of your bottleneck this way.

Two weaker guys working PERFECTLY together will almost always beat a guy who is really strong but has a weak partner that he has to constantly worry about and try to carry in said fight.

That's what your system is doing. Your CPU was paired perfectly with the 1060 but now your CPU is weak compared to your 2070 Super, so your 2070 S has to constantly wait on your CPU to catch up to it, making it frustrated and refusing to perform as well as it can (in a humorous sense). Basically upgrade your CPU. Personally if you wanted to keep Intel, I'd go with at least a 10th or 11th gen i7, or possibly a higher-end 11th gen i5. Even then depending on your games and workload and game settings you may run into issues. The 2070 Super is a pretty beefy card and your 9600k is kind of average.
Don't think a 9600K is a bottleneck for a 2070s.

@Paul-Smenis , what 650watt psu does your brother have? again= maker+model+wattage.

Reactions: Co BIY

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Yes 600watts should be fine , we are not worried about wattage but more about quality of that EVGA W1 psu.

@Paul-Smenis , what 650watt psu does your brother have? again= maker+model+wattage.
It might not, but it also might be. I'm personally not familiar with that particular CPU and won't act like I am, but bottlenecks aren't constant. One operating load might cause a bottleneck but another might not. Depends one what kind of load is being given, and what said load is demanding of any processing components. But again for his given setup, I won't say for sure since I don't have much experience with the 9600k

Co BIY

Splendid

I agree 100% with Vic 40 here.

i5 9600k is still a top tier Gaming CPU with 6 very fast cores! - Averaged 123 FPS in Tom's Test Suite at 1080p.

CPU Benchmarks and Hierarchy 2021: Intel and AMD Processors Ranked

Also in agreement with the others in the thread that the most likely cause of problems are :

1. Windows installation (Start with clean install)
  2. NVidia drivers and install (Complete clear and clean install)
  3. Power supply issues - I would check all the cables (good connections, dedicated cable for GPU and as instructed in both manuals) before buying a new power supply. (Might try swapping in your brother's power supply and see if that fixes it.)

One new possibility I will raise is the cooling on your i5. What kind of cooler are you running and is it well installed? Could it be inadequate and causing thermal throttling?

Status
Not open for further replies.