[SOLVED] 2070 super with ryzen 5 2600x

tenukpcgame

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
Hi guys,

I want to buy the zotac rtx 2070 S amp extreme to upgrade from 1060 6gb.

The problem is my processor is not a high end one. I use Ryzen 5 2600x and dont want to upgrade anymore.

Can the 2070s pair with r5 2600x in term of gaming and design?

Afraid if it will cause unstability. I got the deal for this 2070s.

12.12 deal! B4 i buy, might as well ask this to make sure i'm not making a mistakes.

Yes, you definitely do NOT want to use that power supply with that graphics card. Are you prepared and able to also replace the power supply? Because if not, then it would be wise not to waste your money, and instead, get a lower tiered graphics card like the 2060, 2060 Super or RX 5700 instead, that way you can afford to also replace the power supply.

Let me know if you need a PSU recommendation or you can read my recommendations at the link in my signature.

tenukpcgame

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
Yes, you definitely do NOT want to use that power supply with that graphics card. Are you prepared and able to also replace the power supply? Because if not, then it would be wise not to waste your money, and instead, get a lower tiered graphics card like the 2060, 2060 Super or RX 5700 instead, that way you can afford to also replace the power supply.

Let me know if you need a PSU recommendation or you can read my recommendations at the link in my signature.

What about the Silverstone Strider 1200W Platinum ? I got one but not used yet. This one i bought it from my friends. Used one but still okay i guess.

Im sorry late reply. I don't know why i didn't get any alert from TomHrdwre.

That unit is not very good either, but it's certainly not only better than the Hexa you are currently using, but it's a lot higher capacity so some of it's problems might not be as pronounced as they would be if you were actually going to be drawing something near it's actual capacity capabilities. I would certainly say it's a much better choice than what's installed right now IF it is in good shape and doesn't have any problems. Being used, it's hard to say. Friends don't normally give away 1200w power supplies unless they either have a lot of money to throw around and they are particularly good friends, or there is something wrong with it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silverstone-strider-platinum-st1200-pt-psu,4849-11.html

Certainly you could do worse, but you could do a lot better too. Temporarily it should work ok IF it's in good shape, but I would definitely still think about getting a better unit at some point, sooner being better than later, after you get your 2070.

Reactions: DMAN999

tenukpcgame

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
That unit is not very good either, but it's certainly not only better than the Hexa you are currently using, but it's a lot higher capacity so some of it's problems might not be as pronounced as they would be if you were actually going to be drawing something near it's actual capacity capabilities. I would certainly say it's a much better choice than what's installed right now IF it is in good shape and doesn't have any problems. Being used, it's hard to say. Friends don't normally give away 1200w power supplies unless they either have a lot of money to throw around and they are particularly good friends, or there is something wrong with it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silverstone-strider-platinum-st1200-pt-psu,4849-11.html

Certainly you could do worse, but you could do a lot better too. Temporarily it should work ok IF it's in good shape, but I would definitely still think about getting a better unit at some point, sooner being better than later, after you get your 2070.

No i buy it from my friend for 80$. Not giveaway. Yes i will consider to change to brand new after this. Maybe in a few month after i buy this 2070s.

Do u have any recommended PSU for 2070s?

If that 1200W Silverstone is in a good shape, it is more than enough for 2070s, it can easily run a 2080ti.

In the future, please read and familiarize yourself with all aspects of the conversation up to the point where you have decided to join up, which is fine, but you need to do so in an informed capacity.

If you had read my post, and the link I posted to a review of that unit, you would have known that while it is far more capacity than they would ever need for that system WITH an RTX 2070, or even a 2080 TI for that matter, it is a unit that has some relatively serious issues even when brand new which clearly this one is not.

I'll post it again, so you can better educate yourself on the merits of this particular unit. And yes, it makes a huge difference. There are 1200w units out there that only a true imbecile would install in their system, and while the Strider isn't one of them, it could be. You shouldn't make blanket assumptions about the suitability of a particular part based solely on it's listed capacity.

**Silverstone Strider 1200w review by Aris at Tom's Hardware!!

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
In the future, please read and familiarize yourself with all aspects of the conversation up to the point where you have decided to join up, which is fine, but you need to do so in an informed capacity.

If you had read my post, and the link I posted to a review of that unit, you would have known that while it is far more capacity than they would ever need for that system WITH an RTX 2070, or even a 2080 TI for that matter, it is a unit that has some relatively serious issues even when brand new which clearly this one is not.

I'll post it again, so you can better educate yourself on the merits of this particular unit. And yes, it makes a huge difference. There are 1200w units out there that only a true imbecile would install in their system, and while the Strider isn't one of them, it could be. You shouldn't make blanket assumptions about the suitability of a particular part based solely on it's listed capacity.

**Silverstone Strider 1200w review by Aris at Tom's Hardware!!
Bruh, I did read your description, and I get it. It might be the worst 1200W Plat PSU in that tier but he's getting it for $80, which is a steal. If he were to run a 2080Ti SLI with a 9900k overclocked, then sure, not recommended whatsoever, but it's a single GPU with an efficient mid tier CPU. I mean no disrespect fella, just pointing out the real world scenario. I mean for 80 bucks, he would not get a better PSU than this for what he intends to run.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I want to buy the zotac rtx 2070 S amp extreme to upgrade from 1060 6gb.

The problem is my processor is not a high end one. I use Ryzen 5 2600x and dont want to upgrade anymore.

Can the 2070s pair with r5 2600x in term of gaming and design?

Afraid if it will cause unstability. I got the deal for this 2070s.

12.12 deal! B4 i buy, might as well ask this to make sure i'm not making a mistakes.

It will be perfectly fine. However in some more CPU based games like "Rust" you still wont get better performance unless you upgrade the CPU. I have the r5 2600 at 3.9ghz.

I went from a 1060 3gb to a 2060 super factory oc'd to 1815mhz with my own OC of +105mhz and 500mhz on memory, so it boosts around 2040mhz, and I still get roughly the same fps as I did on the 1060 as for 1 the game is terribly optimized and the game is also very CPU intensive.

In some videos on youtube you can see using the same exact gpu going from the r5 2600 to the r7 3600 showed a 20fps increase in a few titles.

tenukpcgame

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
It will be perfectly fine. However in some more CPU based games like "Rust" you still wont get better performance unless you upgrade the CPU. I have the r5 2600 at 3.9ghz.

I went from a 1060 3gb to a 2060 super factory oc'd to 1815mhz with my own OC of +105mhz and 500mhz on memory, so it boosts around 2040mhz, and I still get roughly the same fps as I did on the 1060 as for 1 the game is terribly optimized and the game is also very CPU intensive.

In some videos on youtube you can see using the same exact gpu going from the r5 2600 to the r7 3600 showed a 20fps increase in a few titles.

Yes i can see that. Youtube 2600x and 3600 and 3600x with 2070s.

2600x and 3600 does not make any changes but 3600x is much better! Yes of course in certain games only.

Still i will not upgrade my processor for now. Maybe after 4 gen or 5 gen come out then i will consider.

For your information, The part i want to upgrade are my graphic card, Ssd, Case, and Adding AIO.

Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600x
Graphic Card: Gtx 1060 6gb Gigabyte Windforce > Zotac RTX 2070 Super Amp Extreme
SSD: Pny Ssd 256Gb > Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2
Power Supply: FSP Hexa II > Silverstone Strider 1200W Platinum
Case: Tecware Hexa > Phanteks P360X

I will add AIO - Deepcool Gammaxx L240 RGB

What do u think? @Darkbreeze @Jason H. @Dreamevil55

Reactions: Jason H.
Bruh, I did read your description, and I get it. It might be the worst 1200W Plat PSU in that tier but he's getting it for $80, which is a steal. If he were to run a 2080Ti SLI with a 9900k overclocked, then sure, not recommended whatsoever, but it's a single GPU with an efficient mid tier CPU. I mean no disrespect fella, just pointing out the real world scenario. I mean for 80 bucks, he would not get a better PSU than this for what he intends to run.

Really? This is more than enough for that system, is a much better quality unit and is new, not used, for four bucks more.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $84.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-04 22:08 EST-0500

But it's irrelevant because again, you are not absorbing what you are reading. He is not looking to buy this unit for 80 bucks. He said he BOUGHT it, at some point in the past, and it has been sitting unused since buying it. So obviously, like I ALREADY said, yes, it's worth using until such time as he can buy a better one. The problems that unit has are not problems I would want to overlook long term.

The mere fact, among other glaring issues, that it has high ripple would be enough for me to NOT use it with ANY of MY hardware, at ALL. Ripple kills motherboards and graphics cards, because it overheats the capacitors. Some ripple is normal. excessive ripple is deadly to hardware. That unit has excessive ripple.

I WOULD NOT USE IT LONG TERM, AT ALL. PERIOD.

Maybe a month or two at MOST. Ripple is a cumulative killer. It won't take your hardware out immediately, normally, but it will definitely cause damage over a period of weeks of frequent usage, especially if you are using it at high sustained levels. Most units, when they get warm, then voltage fluctuation and ripple levels get worse.

It also has other VERY serious issues, as explained here:

As you may have guessed, the ST1200-PT didn't impress us, and not only because of its ripple suppression problem. For starters, its hold-up time is lower than 17ms. And on top of that, it is affected by an inaccurate power-good signal. In this price category, we expect manufacturers to correctly tune this important point. When the power-good signal lasts longer than the actual hold-up time, other components in your PC are fed lower voltages than normal. This, along with high stress on VRM circuits, can lead to malfunctions in a worst-case scenario. Enhance should put a stop to this practice and tune power-good accordingly.

So, it's easy for you to say it will be ok, and it could, but it's not "fine" and it's not even "good" or "ok" really. It is passable, just, for now, but I would not recommend using it long term. There are, as I said, too many issues.

tenukpcgame

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
Really? This is more than enough for that system, is a much better quality unit and is new, not used, for four bucks more.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)

But it's irrelevant because again, you are not absorbing what you are reading. He is not looking to buy this unit for 80 bucks. He said he BOUGHT it, at some point in the past, and it has been sitting unused since buying it. So obviously, like I ALREADY said, yes, it's worth using until such time as he can buy a better one. The problems that unit has are not problems I would want to overlook long term.

The mere fact, among other glaring issues, that it has high ripple would be enough for me to NOT use it with ANY of MY hardware, at ALL. Ripple kills motherboards and graphics cards, because it overheats the capacitors. Some ripple is normal. excessive ripple is deadly to hardware. That unit has excessive ripple.

Maybe a month or two at MOST. Ripple is a cumulative killer. It won't take your hardware out immediately, normally, but it will definitely cause damage over a period of weeks of frequent usage, especially if you are using it at high sustained levels. Most units, when they get warm, then voltage fluctuation and ripple levels get worse.

So, it's easy for you to say it will be ok, and it could, but it's not "fine" and it's not even "good" or "ok" really. It is passable, just, for now, but I would not recommend using it long term. There are, as I said, too many issues.

PCPartPicker Part List

Reading this made me want to buy a new one.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
@ tenukpcgame,
Darkbreeze is very knowledgable and he absolutely will not steer you wrong.
As he said above, you can use that Silverstone Strider 1200W Platinum for a while BUT you should not rely on it for any longer than necessary.
If you can afford to buy a better quality PSU (like he recommended) you should.
Think about your PSU as the heart of your PC, it supplies the life blood (aka power) to every component in your PC.
So you should always buy the best quality PSU you can when possible to ensure that every other component (CPU, GPU, HDDs, SSds, RAM, etc) get the power they require to perform as they were designed.

Last edited:
And not just "get" the power, but "not get" the extra stuff you don't want like high levels of ripple (Which tends to shorten the life of some hardware), fluctuating high or low voltages which can cause some other problems with hardware and also damage it and electrical noise which can simply make things not work well and can cause components to operate outside of rated values, causing overheating and equipment operation issues such as data error or loss, equipment malfunction and component failure.

Most of that is stuff that on a unit that is at least mediocre otherwise, and may even be fairly decent aside from that, will allow it to gradually degrade your hardware until two years later you are wondering why you have to get a new motherboard or graphics card when everybody else's is still working fine. That's the biggest issue in my mind with a less than acceptable quality unit.

Reactions: DMAN999

tenukpcgame

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
And not just "get" the power, but "not get" the extra stuff you don't want like high levels of ripple (Which tends to shorten the life of some hardware), fluctuating high or low voltages which can cause some other problems with hardware and also damage it and electrical noise which can simply make things not work well and can cause components to operate outside of rated values, causing overheating and equipment operation issues such as data error or loss, equipment malfunction and component failure.

Most of that is stuff that on a unit that is at least mediocre otherwise, and may even be fairly decent aside from that, will allow it to gradually degrade your hardware until two years later you are wondering why you have to get a new motherboard or graphics card when everybody else's is still working fine. That's the biggest issue in my mind with a less than acceptable quality unit.

I will try to find one maybe seasonic or superflower. Either. In the meantime, i will keep in touch with the power supply. I check your recommended power supply brands. Is it all version under this brand are the best one?

No, not really. ALL of these manufacturers pretty much have both good and not so good models, with some of them also having "oh Jesus, don't buy that one" type models as well. FSP for example, has a a very good series in the Hydro X and Hydro G, but they've have some of the very worse platforms in the budget segment over the years. To the point where the mere mention of the name FSP would have, at one time in the past, made most knowledgeable enthusiasts and builders spitting on the ground or grimacing in disgust.

Super Flower has provided EVGA with what is maybe one of the top ten platforms ever with the Leadex II/ G2 platform, but then also provided them with some pure garbage on the B3 and others.

Seasonic has great platforms, but they also have a rather crappy platform in the S12III and then the S12II platforms which were pretty good back in the day are still around but they are group regulated and have some obvious glaring issues. They are still decent, but they are not great and it's becoming harder and harder to recommend them.

So no, there is no manufacturer that you can point to and say "All of their units are good". None. Well, maybe Flextronics, but you don't see many of their platforms used in the consumer segment. And I'm sure even they probably have a turd or two.

Yes i can see that. Youtube 2600x and 3600 and 3600x with 2070s.

2600x and 3600 does not make any changes but 3600x is much better! Yes of course in certain games only.

Still i will not upgrade my processor for now. Maybe after 4 gen or 5 gen come out then i will consider.

For your information, The part i want to upgrade are my graphic card, Ssd, Case, and Adding AIO.

Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600x
Graphic Card: Gtx 1060 6gb Gigabyte Windforce > Zotac RTX 2070 Super Amp Extreme
SSD: Pny Ssd 256Gb > Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2
Power Supply: FSP Hexa II > Silverstone Strider 1200W Platinum
Case: Tecware Hexa > Phanteks P360X

I will add AIO - Deepcool Gammaxx L240 RGB

What do u think? @Darkbreeze @Jason H. @Dreamevil55

I think the 2600 will be just fine for you, unless you play rust lol. Then you would have no choice but to upgrade cpu or just deal with low frames lol.

But yes the combo is perfect and will work great in 95% of games.

tenukpcgame

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
No, not really. ALL of these manufacturers pretty much have both good and not so good models, with some of them also having "oh Jesus, don't buy that one" type models as well. FSP for example, has a a very good series in the Hydro X and Hydro G, but they've have some of the very worse platforms in the budget segment over the years. To the point where the mere mention of the name FSP would have, at one time in the past, made most knowledgeable enthusiasts and builders spitting on the ground or grimacing in disgust.

Super Flower has provided EVGA with what is maybe one of the top ten platforms ever with the Leadex II/ G2 platform, but then also provided them with some pure garbage on the B3 and others.

Seasonic has great platforms, but they also have a rather crappy platform in the S12III and then the S12II platforms which were pretty good back in the day are still around but they are group regulated and have some obvious glaring issues. They are still decent, but they are not great and it's becoming harder and harder to recommend them.

So no, there is no manufacturer that you can point to and say "All of their units are good". None. Well, maybe Flextronics, but you don't see many of their platforms used in the consumer segment. And I'm sure even they probably have a turd or two.

The model that i choose for the brand new is Superflower Leadex 600W Silver Eco 80+
https://www.super-flower.com.tw/product-data.php?productID=83&lang=en

That is NOT a Leadex platform power supply. I can't find any reviews of that model, but I CAN find reviews of the older Leadex platform units and none of them reference an "Eco 600w" platform so it's clearly not Leadex from what I can see. And if it IS, it is a VERY old platform anyhow. I would not recommend the purchase of a platform that old for a modern system. If you are going to buy a Super Flower branded or built unit, stick to the Leadex II, Leadex III, EVGA GQ, G2, G3, P2 or T2 units.

The older Golden Green models are ok, as are the EVGA B2 models, but mostly neither of those are around anymore and any that are are likely units that have been sitting in a warehouse on the shelf for a long time. I wouldn't recommend the purchase of a unit that has been shelved for many years.

tenukpcgame

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
That is NOT a Leadex platform power supply. I can't find any reviews of that model, but I CAN find reviews of the older Leadex platform units and none of them reference an "Eco 600w" platform so it's clearly not Leadex from what I can see. And if it IS, it is a VERY old platform anyhow. I would not recommend the purchase of a platform that old for a modern system. If you are going to buy a Super Flower branded or built unit, stick to the Leadex II, Leadex III, EVGA GQ, G2, G3, P2 or T2 units.

The older Golden Green models are ok, as are the EVGA B2 models, but mostly neither of those are around anymore and any that are are likely units that have been sitting in a warehouse on the shelf for a long time. I wouldn't recommend the purchase of a unit that has been shelved for many years.

Ok then i will go with Leadex II 650W 80 + Gold. Is that ok? i got a good deal for this.